Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Timing Parts… which to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Parts… which to choose?

Hi everyone

Although I am a new member, I am a long time lurker of the site and have gotten a lot of useful info… THANKS! My question is are the timing parts made by Melling and Cloyes quality? I know several people recommend their kits, but what about their tensioners, tensioner arms and chain guides?

Although I do not have any issues now, I am beginning to collect parts for the timing rebuild and want the ensure I have the best parts possible. My truck is a 2005 FX4 Supercrew with just over 100K miles. I already have new Ford cam phasers, VCTs and new stock tensioners. I was just curious if I should stick with Ford parts or are Melling and Cloyes better?

I will also be replacing the oil pump with a Melling 360, replace the water pump too (I would like a suggestion for that as well).

Keith
Old 12-10-2017, 07:35 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Running the Cloyes kit for about 5 years here. I do have some start up rattle on occasion though. Im happy with it overall. I pulled a kit off the shelf at work the other day and the tensioner seals now look better than the ones I installed. I may pull my cover off in the near future and change the tensioners. The biggest thing is the tensioners in the whole set up, so if you have good tensioners, the rest will be fine.

Melling oil pumps are fine too, although they usually don’t need to be changed. Whether you change it or not, make sure to clean the pickup tube and screen.

Any good reuputable water pump will do... Gates, GMB, etc.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Running the Cloyes kit for about 5 years here. I do have some start up rattle on occasion though. Im happy with it overall. I pulled a kit off the shelf at work the other day and the tensioner seals now look better than the ones I installed. I may pull my cover off in the near future and change the tensioners. The biggest thing is the tensioners in the whole set up, so if you have good tensioners, the rest will be fine.

Melling oil pumps are fine too, although they usually don’t need to be changed. Whether you change it or not, make sure to clean the pickup tube and screen.

Any good reuputable water pump will do... Gates, GMB, etc.
BAM! That was fast. Thanks for responding nrivera04.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:39 AM

Just my 2 cents but I would only get motorcraft parts for all of your timing parts. However stay away from Dorman products, they have been known to cause problems in a short amount of time
Old 12-10-2017, 10:40 AM

Oops, double post
Old 12-10-2017, 06:29 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default Use old style ratcheting metal tensioners

They don't have a seal to blow out . I used melling 360 oil pump the rest OEM from oem select ebay . And I changed all lash's and rollers . They take a beating .
Old 12-11-2017, 12:49 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

^----- What he said!

Kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-For...-/271340466627

Oil Pump:
Amazon Amazon

BTW, searching ebay.... how the heck is all this $209 [with water and oil pumps] ???? With 280 kits sold! I wonder what the failure rate is? If the parts didn’t take so long to replace and didn’t have the possibility of destroying the engine upon failure I would try it. Any success stories from using cheap parts like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/04-08-Ford-...1Yvyo8&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
Mark Cameron (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by HubFord
BTW, searching ebay.... how the heck is all this $209 [with water and oil pumps] ???? With 280 kits sold! I wonder what the failure rate is? If the parts didn’t take so long to replace and didn’t have the possibility of destroying the engine upon failure I would try it. Any success stories from using cheap parts like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/04-08-Ford-...1Yvyo8&vxp=mtr
Yikes! That would scare me! I would wonder if a lot of those sales are people who are selling their truck and just want the problem to stay away long enough to sell it so it's not their problem anymore. I'm please with my more expensive OEM parts that are still running great almost a year later and should for many more years to come.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by redfishtd
They don't have a seal to blow out . I used melling 360 oil pump the rest OEM from oem select ebay . And I changed all lash's and rollers . They take a beating .
What method do you use to replace lash & rollers? I am doing the full monty on mine over the holiday break and want to do the same.

So far, I have been unable to determine if it is OK to gently remove cams, replace all lash & followers and reinstall the cams. Seems that would be ok so long as the crank is stationary. Am I mistaken?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

Get the valve compressor tool and do it by the book. It's tedious but it won't screw up.

Get the ratcheting metal 2v tensioners, they don't have seals to leak.

Quick Reply: Timing Parts… which to choose?