Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Timing Chain Slack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Slack?

My 2007 F150 with the 5.4 starting making a hard tick in the passenger side of the engine about a month ago. A few days ago, it got really bad and the engine felt sluggish. I figured it was likely the typical cam phaser/chain tensioner issue, so I began pulling things apart yesterday. After I finally got the passenger side valve cover off, I determined the problem was actually a trashed rocker arm. The center roller bearing is totally seized and scarred up. Unfortunately, it ruined the camshaft.

My question is actually about the timing chain. Since the valve cover is removed, I can see the timing chain, and it has quite a bit of slop it in. Is that normal with the engine off? I know the tensioner works off of oil pressure. Does the chain get tight when you engine is running, and then totally loose when the engine is off?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

HEres mine when it was messed up pretty bad, getting 18 psi idle, ran it for like a couple months this way haha

I had blown tensioner seal, broken tensioner and timing chains had about 4 fingers worth of slack. I had'nt jumped time yet somehow.
Attachment 570166

You will need this kit, or at least the parts out of it
Amazon.com: Ford 5.4L 3V Camshaft Drive Phaser Repair Kit - Phaser Sprockets, Tensioners, Guides, Chains Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Ford 5.4L 3V Camshaft Drive Phaser Repair Kit - Phaser Sprockets, Tensioners, Guides, Chains Kit: Automotive

or http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-Ford...-/261259751377

Stick with FOMOCO parts only please, not OEM

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Slack?