Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Throttle Body Cleaning - My Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Cleaning - My Experience

Ok, long time lurker, few time poster. Mainly I want to give props to ProZach, for his wonderful write-up on cleaning the throttle body and MAF. Find it HERE---

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-cl...ody-maf-75006/

Next i'd like to give a few comments.

1. The MAF was nothing like i expected, a blade of plastic with a metallic strip on one side and a few small openings. To be honest, it looked no different before and after. I doused it good everywhere.

2. DO NOT over tighten the bolts when reattaching the filter bracket. THEY WILL break, EASILY.

Now, i'll give a brief back story of my situation. I have over 165,000 on her.

Took the truck in to mechanic because of cel (check engine light) and my truck had been idling rough at low rpm, and when i was in a parking lot turning sharp at idle, the power steering would feel heavy, and sometimes jerky, and a few times actually killed the engine. Mechanic said that it needed to go to the dealer to get re-flashed, there was a TSB on this. (Don't remember which one)

Took it to the dealer, who re-flashed it, but said i needed a new throttle body. After a bit of research on this site and around the web, i decided it would be well worth it to clean MAF and TB first.

When I got everything apart, i was very disappointed because nothing was that dirty. At my high milage i expected LOADS of buildup. Not so. Wish i'd have taken pictures, but, sorry. A little buildup, but, what i think might have been important, mostly on the lip of the butterfly valve. Cleaned everything and put her back together, and followed the protocol.

NIGHT AND DAY difference. Seems to be back to normal now. I also read on a post somewhere that this may affect the A/C not blowing cold at startup and low idle, which i can't confirm, as it was chilly and rainy by the time i finished this job.

So, lesson is, save yourself $540, and do a little simple maintenance and keep your truck in top shape. Thanks again to ProZack and everyone else who makes this forum great.

Reid
Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by keystone183
Ok, long time lurker, few time poster. Mainly I want to give props to ProZach, for his wonderful write-up on cleaning the throttle body and MAF. Find it HERE---

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-cl...ody-maf-75006/

Next i'd like to give a few comments.

1. The MAF was nothing like i expected, a blade of plastic with a metallic strip on one side and a few small openings. To be honest, it looked no different before and after. I doused it good everywhere.

2. DO NOT over tighten the bolts when reattaching the filter bracket. THEY WILL break, EASILY.

Now, i'll give a brief back story of my situation. I have over 165,000 on her.

Took the truck in to mechanic because of cel (check engine light) and my truck had been idling rough at low rpm, and when i was in a parking lot turning sharp at idle, the power steering would feel heavy, and sometimes jerky, and a few times actually killed the engine. Mechanic said that it needed to go to the dealer to get re-flashed, there was a TSB on this. (Don't remember which one)

Took it to the dealer, who re-flashed it, but said i needed a new throttle body. After a bit of research on this site and around the web, i decided it would be well worth it to clean MAF and TB first.

When I got everything apart, i was very disappointed because nothing was that dirty. At my high milage i expected LOADS of buildup. Not so. Wish i'd have taken pictures, but, sorry. A little buildup, but, what i think might have been important, mostly on the lip of the butterfly valve. Cleaned everything and put her back together, and followed the protocol.

NIGHT AND DAY difference. Seems to be back to normal now. I also read on a post somewhere that this may affect the A/C not blowing cold at startup and low idle, which i can't confirm, as it was chilly and rainy by the time i finished this job.

So, lesson is, save yourself $540, and do a little simple maintenance and keep your truck in top shape. Thanks again to ProZack and everyone else who makes this forum great.

Reid
A great write up to be sure.
The a/c issue is more about airflow through the radiator/condensor while at idle.
At startup it has to stabilize before it runs good.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Cleaning - My Experience