Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Thinking about an '06 XL

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about an '06 XL

Just joined the forum - I've been lurking on here for awhile because of problems with my '01 F150 5.4L XLT SuperCrew 4WD. I've finally given up on it - 158K miles, A/C won't stay fixed, just replaced the whole fuel delivery system and coils and it still runs badly, done a fair amount of suspension work (and it needs more), the bed is starting to rust out, and it just developed a major coolant leak.

Am looking at an '06 XL 4WD with 28K miles (no, you didn't read that wrong - it's at a local dealer, purchased from a GSA auction). I can get it for $13K, which sounds like a pretty good deal in these parts (my '01 is worth ~$6200 as a trade-in). As disappointed as I've been with my '01, I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on this, but it might be nice to own something with less than 100K miles on it. It's pretty basic - vinyl floor liner, manual crank windows. I know about the 2-piece spark plug issues with the 3V 5.4L engines, and it concerns me a bit. Other issues I've read about are a leaking high-level stop lamp and upper engine oil starvation.

I'm a sponge - tell me everything you know about these trucks!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM

*bump*

Anyone? I'm now thinking of *not* buying it because of everything I've read - it appears this was one of the least reliable model years ever built....
Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 PM

I'd buy it if i were you, assuming its a good dealer and they didnt mess with odometer. My dad has a 06 with near 80k on it that he bough in 06. The biggest thing he's replaced was a front caliper that locked up. Brakes once since 06 and One oil change a year. The truck runs like a champ, it's got a tick but his is the exhaust. I have a 07 with just under 100k, i just bought mine and when it came through my dealer all we did was rear brakes, no tick on mine. By 06 most issues were fixed you dont have any more to worry about on this engine than you will find on some other engine ford or not. Like I said i'd do it, I dont know if the price is good thats all your region but it seems decent.

If you get you should get a warranty anyway cause the miles but you could always buy one if youre worried. And try to work a spark plug change into the deal. Its got low miles but every dealer knows about those plugs.

Hope this helped some.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 PM

Thanks, that helped a lot. Not 100% decided yet, but once I see it in person, I may pull the trigger.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:26 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminMeanie
Thanks, that helped a lot. Not 100% decided yet, but once I see it in person, I may pull the trigger.
Depends on your finical situation and whether you want to take the risk that the truck will go wrong and will cost $$$ to repair it may be worth to finance a new truck for 20 grand with warranty.

It may be low millage, some people don't drive much, and wealthy families have multiple vehicles. But sadly the probability is that it is most likely that it has been rolled back to increase its value. I'd try to get full service records to confirm the miles.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 AM

I wish I could afford the payments on a new one. Since I gotta have 4WD (snow country) and an extended or crew cab (regular multiple passengers), a new one starts at about $30K! Around here, for $20K, if I'm lucky, I can get a 2004 or 2005 with 80K miles on it....most in my sub-$20K price range have well over 100K - which is what I'm trying to get away from.

What are the chances on a Gov't auction vehicle the odo has been tampered with? I did verify that this came from a GSA vehicle auction.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought my 08 with a rebuilt title and I dont regret it one bit. It is an XL but I have since transformed it to a lariet looking FX2. Might have spend $1200 doing so as well.

These trucks are leaps and bounds better than the 01 f150 you have. You wont regret it either just make sure it runs good and get a carfax and all.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminMeanie
I wish I could afford the payments on a new one. Since I gotta have 4WD (snow country) and an extended or crew cab (regular multiple passengers), a new one starts at about $30K! Around here, for $20K, if I'm lucky, I can get a 2004 or 2005 with 80K miles on it....most in my sub-$20K price range have well over 100K - which is what I'm trying to get away from.

What are the chances on a Gov't auction vehicle the odo has been tampered with? I did verify that this came from a GSA vehicle auction.
Ford is selling new trucks for less then 5 year old used ones. In Ontario I saw a new supercab 4x4 with 3.7 for 26 grand, discounts are hefty. Its up to you to do the research to find one in your area.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

If you are in the market for a truck, which you sound like you are, I would pull the trigger on it. I wouldn't hold your breath on getting that much trade in on your truck for a below market value priced F150. If your truck is paid off I would sell it yourself.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an '06 XL