Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Superchip Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Superchip Programmer

I have a 2006 f150 and want to add a little performance. I recently bought a flow master exhaust and put it on, I also bought a K&N cold air intake and istalled it. Now I purchased a flashpaq programmer by superchips. My question is I am aware that there are different settings on these programmers, but never having used one and not knowing much I was wondering if anyone knew what would be best. I want the best or top performance I can get obviously but don't want to damage anything. If you have any suggestions please let me know because all I am aware of are the three basics settings and I know the top setting I believe you have to use high octane gas to allow it to work properly...I could be wrong there as well. Thanks for any help or advice.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jhookem15
I have a 2006 f150 and want to add a little performance. I recently bought a flow master exhaust and put it on, I also bought a K&N cold air intake and istalled it. Now I purchased a flashpaq programmer by superchips. My question is I am aware that there are different settings on these programmers, but never having used one and not knowing much I was wondering if anyone knew what would be best. I want the best or top performance I can get obviously but don't want to damage anything. If you have any suggestions please let me know because all I am aware of are the three basics settings and I know the top setting I believe you have to use high octane gas to allow it to work properly...I could be wrong there as well. Thanks for any help or advice.
OK if you want the best performance you can get, first of all sell the Superchips tuner, after you return your truck to stock. Then get an X-Cal2 tuner, or some of the others on here love the Edge tuner. Then we can help u get more out of your truck. BTW Welcome to the site. Where ya from? What engine is in your truck? 4wd or 2wd? What body style.. Tell us more about you an your truck. There ya go Pro I havend done that in a couple of days...lol

Last edited by NGM; 03-26-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats more like it, im suprised you didn't grill me for more info, lol

and welcome to the site jhookem15!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 AM

I appreciate your response and help and will see what I can do as far as returning the programmer. My question is however, where can I find the edge programmer or the one you have mentioned, and how much are they? Also what do they offer that the superchips do not, or what is some of the performance specs I can expect from the two you have mentioned?
I have a 2006 4.6 liter V8 Red Supercrew F-150. I also recently put 18 inch rims and tires on which are my most prized addition to date. The tires are the Nitto Dune Grapplers that just came out and I have gotten more compliments then I know what to do with.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Again thank you for your input, I take you know the other guy who responeded to me as well. I am just learning how to navigate the site also which is why I don't have much info attached because I don't know how. I mean I am computer literate but this seems foreign to me. I live in Houston, Tx and work as a Tech. Engineer. I am 28 and this is the first truck I have owned new and also have taken the time to do with it what I want so I want to make sure I do the right thing and don't screw anything up.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jhookem15
I appreciate your response and help and will see what I can do as far as returning the programmer. My question is however, where can I find the edge programmer or the one you have mentioned, and how much are they? Also what do they offer that the superchips do not, or what is some of the performance specs I can expect from the two you have mentioned?
I have a 2006 4.6 liter V8 Red Supercrew F-150. I also recently put 18 inch rims and tires on which are my most prized addition to date. The tires are the Nitto Dune Grapplers that just came out and I have gotten more compliments then I know what to do with.
At the top of the page there is a DiscountPower banner they can get you an Edge setup. Tony Whetstone @ Jaw's Racing 850-445-2272 is who you contact for the X-cal2. Talk to Tony he can give you ALOT more info on the diffrence between the tuners. The X-cal2 gives you a user option to re-calibrate your speedo if you get larger tires or change gear ratio.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 PM

Ok, thanks NGM I am going to do that at lunch and see what he thinks I should do or where to go from here. I just tried to do some research on my own and didn't come up with much really. Because to be honest the flashpaq by superchips will also allow me to tune my truck for new tires or gear ratios but I agree almost everyone on here speaks highly of the edge tuner as well. Thanks again for the input.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Superchips tuner and I am pretty happy with it. I have never used the Edge programmers to have a basis for comparison so I can't say which is better. I use my programmer on the performance setting with all of Superchips default settings.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM

Ok, so to use my superchip if I decide to go that route and put it on the performance setting should I also use high octane "93" gas. I have heard that if you were to use the lower octane then you could start to have a ping in your engine? Also, was it fairly simple to install and upgrade all of your settings. I am asking because I know there are settings that will allow me to adjust for my tires. I see you have yours set to default but on performance, I don't know if I can do that but as far as from before the chip to after are you getting noticable improvement im performance or just a fair amount? Thank you for your help.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always used the high octane gas in mine. I have forgotten before and put in the regular gas. Nothing bad happened. I didn't hear any pinging. It is very easy to install the upgrades and even better, it is even simpler to go back to stock. If you don't like how it drives, just change it back and start over. I noticed a pretty good jump in performance. I think the harder shift is probably the best part of it.

Quick Reply: Superchip Programmer