Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Strange AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange AC issue

I've tried to figure it out but haven't yet. The other day I was driving on highway with AC on, drove through a heavy shower, and the compressor stopped cycling. After got out of rain, turned AC off and back on. Few minutes down the road AC started working again. Couple hours later same thing when I hit another rain shower. Never had any AC issues till now and I don't seem to understand what's going on. Idk if the rain actually caused something to happen or if someting else is acting up and it was just a coincedence.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Wet belt? Short circuit on an exposed wire? The engine heat would quickly cure either. Check belt tension, that's the easy one. If it's loose, it could slip while wet. The compressor requires a fair amount of effort to turn over.

Components in the engine bay are designed to get wet, so an electrical issue could be tough to track down.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Start by checking the plug at the compressor.. with the compressor on the bottom of our engines, anything could have popped up and nicked a wire.. see if the plug is loose at the compressor.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 PM

Alright thanks guys I'm getting under it today to look around. Just wanted to see if there was a known issue that's common. I'll post back with what I stumble on
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by crazyPD
Alright thanks guys I'm getting under it today to look around. Just wanted to see if there was a known issue that's common. I'll post back with what I stumble on
Wondering if you found anything with this. I have a very similar issue with my 07 FX2 5.4 liter
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the refrigerant level. The cooler air in the rain would lower the pressures and could cause the low pressure switch to turn off the compressor. Then when the air temps heated up after you drove out of the rain shower, the pressures would rise allowing it to come back on.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by skc72
I would check the refrigerant level. The cooler air in the rain would lower the pressures and could cause the low pressure switch to turn off the compressor. Then when the air temps heated up after you drove out of the rain shower, the pressures would rise allowing it to come back on.
In my case the refrigerant levels are spot on. As mentioned earlier I have a problem that is very similar to that of the original poster. My AC works like a charm one minute, drive up somewhere, turn vehicle off, come back and start vehicle and no AC. After driving for a few minutes suddenly it will come on and stay on. Yesterday it worked fine all day until I stopped for dinner. When I started truck after dinner no AC the entire time.
Its clearly something intermittent, was hoping that someone knew of a TSB regarding this issue
Rick
Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine has been shutting off every once in awhile. There is no set pattern as to when it happens. Did it on sunday going over a small bump in the road. Restarted the a/c and hit a set of railroad tracks and it stayed on. Shut the truck off to go into a store and when I started the truck the a/c was off. After that it was fine the rest of the day.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by leopold
Mine has been shutting off every once in awhile. There is no set pattern as to when it happens. Did it on sunday going over a small bump in the road. Restarted the a/c and hit a set of railroad tracks and it stayed on. Shut the truck off to go into a store and when I started the truck the a/c was off. After that it was fine the rest of the day.
This is exactly what my truck is doing presently. It shut off on me yesterday and has yet to start back up.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM

I checked the plug at the compressor, that was good to go. I'll get the pressures checked out, it may need a little but I think it's in the ok range as it blows cold normally, but that will be next try. After looking at the belt the belt looks to be aging, so I may go ahead and change the belt out like somoene mentioned before it may be slipping in the rain due to lost belt strength.

I see some have posted of their AC not blowing cold or getting hot. Common issue on these trucks at idle etc. I found somewhere, and I use this work out daily and it seems to help some, that if happens, truck running, turn **** to AC, from max AC. Turn off recirc, turn off AC, then continue **** to off shutting down system. Wait a few moments, turn know back to AC, turn on AC, then turn on recirc, then rotate **** to max AC. Something to do with the blend door staying open after truck is turned off with AC on. And playing with **** forces blend door to move if it didn't at truck start up.

Quick Reply: Strange AC issue