Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

still have problem after repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still have problem after repair

Hello all, My friend and Myself installed new timing kit and a new solenoid and an upgraded oil pump, cleaned oil pan which had minimal debri from chain guide breaking apart and installed chains according to the book . Now it's quiet but We still have 1 code P0022 which says bank 2(dr side) cam over-retarded which a forum said cam is stuck over-retarded . So I'm thinking since that code was present before this repair and Myself not being familiar to Fords/phasers did'nt think to unstick/check cam/phaser relationship for neutral position. Also the phasers and solenoids were replaced roughly 8 months ago . Thoughts suggestions ? Thank You for any help

Last edited by ra9436604; 03-20-2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Want to thank any help
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will remove bank 2 rocker cover and proceed to put cam/phaser back to neutral pos then check cam timing and adjust and put back together
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default Were the phasors and VCTS oem ford ? if not its a problem

You should have cleaned VCTs and the bodys they sit in . Phasors are not really resettable they work good or not, aftermarkets are mainly junk . Should have cleaned cam sensors and housing . Did you get oil pickup screen cleaned up ,it jams up with plastic guides pieces. At this point clean and inspect screens on VCT bank 2, clean connectors of vcts . Maybe soak it overnight and pulse it with battery . If its not oem replace it .
At idle their is no signal to vct so you don't want something in there sticking it open . If you want to replace cam sensor on bank 2 they are not that expensive . But if that phasor is dorman its probably bad . Get oem cam phasors . Don't use plastic tensioners put old style ratcheting metal ones in, they don't have gasket to blow out .
Sorry to tell you all this but its common knowledge on here .
I have heard that Bad lash adjusters can cause cam phasor to act up, I don't see how , I replaced all of mine and rollers when I did my timing job , the parts were $1400 total .Rollers and lash ran $265 from oem select ebay . My timing kit was $798 from same .
I guess you fell into just replace phasors group that is rarely the root of the problem . You found out the tensioners seals blow out causing low oil pressure-- chains start whipping breaking guides jamming oil pickup with plastic pieces for more reduced oil flow .
Let us know how you are coming along .

Quick Reply: still have problem after repair