Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

starting question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting question?

Just wondering if you guys have heard any noises with your truck when you try to start it. It has only done it about 3-4 times in the past 2 months but when you try to start it it makes a loud grinding noise with the ignition and then you try to start it again and it cranks right up every time. im thinking its either a short or starter going bad. any ideas? thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Does indeed sound like the starter drive not fully engaging the flywheel ring gear. Remove the starter and inspect the ring gear, mark the gear and rotate it full circle to make sure its not damaged. Do yourself a favor, do not use an aftermarket starter, use Ford OEM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick8810
Just wondering if you guys have heard any noises with your truck when you try to start it. It has only done it about 3-4 times in the past 2 months but when you try to start it it makes a loud grinding noise with the ignition and then you try to start it again and it cranks right up every time. im thinking its either a short or starter going bad. any ideas? thanks
I agree with Bill...

When I went to Autozone and got a new onefor my 01 it was ok for a month or so and started making that horrid sound. I tried shims, everything. Nothing made it work ok. just nursed it along until I traded it in...

Quick Reply: starting question?