Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Starter Problem? Could use some help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Starter Problem? Could use some help...

Hi all,

So I went to start my truck today, 2006 5.4 SuperCrew XLT, thing wouldn't start. Figure it was the battery so I tried jumping to no avail. Following that I noticed that dome light, dash, and radio all came on, so I assume it must be the starter?

Had power when I parked it the other day and the alternator is new about a year ago. Does it sound like the starter is dead? If so, anyone have any tips on replacing it themselves, not trying to shell out 300 bucks at a mechanic. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 3,056 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by BayStater
Hi all,

So I went to start my truck today, 2006 5.4 SuperCrew XLT, thing wouldn't start. Figure it was the battery so I tried jumping to no avail. Following that I noticed that dome light, dash, and radio all came on, so I assume it must be the starter?

Had power when I parked it the other day and the alternator is new about a year ago. Does it sound like the starter is dead? If so, anyone have any tips on replacing it themselves, not trying to shell out 300 bucks at a mechanic. Thanks.
Is it just clicking or trying to start and not firing up? If the latter, you may want to check your fuel pump driver module above the spare (removing and checking the backside).
Old 04-26-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Get your battery checked. These trucks are picky about the electrical system. Make sure to get the CCA checked too. What is the outside temp where you live right now? Next, check ALL the connections at the battery and starter. Even if they look good take them off and clean them well. I also agree with 08 XL if it is cranking but not starting check your FPDM. Its a very common problem.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
Is it just clicking or trying to start and not firing up? If the latter, you may want to check your fuel pump driver module above the spare (removing and checking the backside).
Nothing really is happening at all. No click. No bump. The only tiny thing I can hear is like computer parts "beeping" on the driver side engine compartment.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Computer is on the passenger side, not sure what you are hearing beep.