Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Speedometer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Catch22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer Problem

2005 F150 FX4 Super Crew - I posted previously about this issue and have not gotten any responses - going to try again. My speedometer is not displaying the correct speed - it does not return to zero when truck not moving either running or not. The speedo is always showing higher than the actual speed I'm traveling - its been off by as much as 30 mph. Has anyone heard of this issue and know what the fix is? It has worked fine up to 3 weeks ago. I have not done anything mechanical to it recently
Old 11-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

You can remove the lower trim piece (below the steering column); this will allow you access to the lower bolts that hold the upper trim (console cover). Remove it and check that the two wiring harnesses are intact and for some odd reason did not vibrate off. This is a longshot though, as these two harnesses "lock" into place using a "swing over" harness plug setup (hard to describe in words, but if you saw them, you'd see what I'm trying to describe).

My guestimate is that the cluster is DOA. Unfortunately, the home mechanic cannot do any type of repair except replacing the cluster bulbs. It's a circuit board/brain box that has connections to the PCM (powertrain control module) and PATS (passive anti theft system). No longer a simple speedo replacement arrangement.

Your local Ford dealer will most likely exchange the cluster with a new one, after the new one has been flashed with your models features and mileage (they do a VIN lookup to see what your truck has).

Be prepared for a price; cluster swaps from the dealer are pricy. You can scan Ebay for your model cluster, as they do come up for sale often. If you buy the same model cluster, only your mileage will differ, unless you have that flashed (about $200.00 to $250.00). Don't expect your local Ford dealer to be able to do this either; most dealerships don't have the expensive equipment required to flash the clusters. They send them out to get done.

Removing/installing a cluster in our model year trucks is not difficult at all. In my write-up, I describe this.

I did a writeup some time back on which clusters are compatible with what models, and what features (would/would not) work when swapping one model into another truck. If you decide to buy a cluster off of Ebay, do a search on "Clusters" and understand which clusters will work with your specific model.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 11-11-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Just out of curiosity, if the speedo doesn't ever return to zero, is it still racking up miles on the odometer even when you're sitting still?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by thump
Just out of curiosity, if the speedo doesn't ever return to zero, is it still racking up miles on the odometer even when you're sitting still?
Nope. Two seperate circuits that are fed by one speed sensor. So, your speedo can be broke, but your mileage counter still functions. If both were to bite the dust, I'd suspect the speed sensor, located on the side of the transmission.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Bucko.. Good to know. It would suck to be racking up miles while sitting still.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko

Nope. Two seperate circuits that are fed by one speed sensor. So, your speedo can be broke, but your mileage counter still functions. If both were to bite the dust, I'd suspect the speed sensor, located on the side of the transmission.
are there any diagrams that show the location of the vss on 04 5.4 4x4? my speedo is pinged at max and does not move. odom works cruise control works too. originally. the speedo was erratic. sometimes 30mph. 80 an then pinged at past 120. could it be the vss or is the speedo broken?
help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 Speedometer problems

I've seen the problem your talking about . It was a bad stepper motor ,cost 19.95 from AR Speedometer , Tulsa OK 918-835-3300.
To replace the stepper you will need to remove the needle pointers and be able to desoldering and re solder:
Procedure doesn’t affect mileage .
Old 01-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there anymore info on the Stepper Motor?
I'm having the exact problem that Corynn75 is having.

At first the speedo was off 10-30 mph, it would vary each time I drove it. I used the re-calibration factory feature on the cluster and it was correct for several days.

Now it is pegged to the max and you can hear some noises in the cluster when slowing down. Everything else works fine on the cluster.
Thanks,
JP
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

I had this problem on a 1994 Mustang, bought a used cluster off ebay for cheap and stole the stepper motor out of it, just push the needle on lightly, check with a GPS, and adjust if needed.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

So where is the stepper motor located?
Behind the cluster?
The cluster has to come out to change the stepper motor?

Thanks for the help.
JP

Quick Reply: Speedometer Problem