Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark plug issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spark plug issues

A week ago last Thursday while I was leaving work I had heard a loud pop and then it sounded like rubber hitting my inner wheel liners. I figured I had blown a tire so I pulled over, thankfully was next to a school so went into their parking lot. After looking at my truck I noticed all my tires were fine, but when the truck was running it was making a noise I had never heard before. I was close to a buddy's house so called him and he came over and heard the noise and pin pointed that a spark plug and blown out of the cylinder. Damaged the coil pack as well. I had just bought new plugs to put in and they were in the truck so I grabbed one and was able to thread it into the cylinder, thankfully the threads hadn't been damaged.

Brings me to this morning. I'm leaving for work and get less than a mile from the house when it happens again, this time without the loud pop. I limp it back home and look under the hood and the coil pack and spark plug are both sitting on top of the motor. The coil pack this time is shot, no saving it. I bought a new coil pack and put another new plug in and the truck seems to be running fine again.

I'm wondering what could be causing this and what are my options for fixing it? i don't want to continue to throw new coil packs and new plugs in it. Waste of money to keep doing that. I had heard of possibly doing the helicoil fix on it, but have also heard that it really doesn't work. Friend of mine said that I might need to get new heads.

So here I am, looking for some input. The truck is a 2004 F-150 4.6L with 123,000 miles on it. As far as I know, the plugs have NEVER been changed. I have had the truck since 72,000 miles and I haven't done them (aside from this one).

EDIT: i don't know if it'll make a difference or not, but it does sound like I have an exhaust leak as well. It's been going on for a little bit, but haven't had the time to address it.

Last edited by ChaoticMunky; 10-06-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaoticMunky
A week ago last Thursday while I was leaving work I had heard a loud pop and then it sounded like rubber hitting my inner wheel liners. I figured I had blown a tire so I pulled over, thankfully was next to a school so went into their parking lot. After looking at my truck I noticed all my tires were fine, but when the truck was running it was making a noise I had never heard before. I was close to a buddy's house so called him and he came over and heard the noise and pin pointed that a spark plug and blown out of the cylinder. Damaged the coil pack as well. I had just bought new plugs to put in and they were in the truck so I grabbed one and was able to thread it into the cylinder, thankfully the threads hadn't been damaged. Brings me to this morning. I'm leaving for work and get less than a mile from the house when it happens again, this time without the loud pop. I limp it back home and look under the hood and the coil pack and spark plug are both sitting on top of the motor. The coil pack this time is shot, no saving it. I bought a new coil pack and put another new plug in and the truck seems to be running fine again. I'm wondering what could be causing this and what are my options for fixing it? i don't want to continue to throw new coil packs and new plugs in it. Waste of money to keep doing that. I had heard of possibly doing the helicoil fix on it, but have also heard that it really doesn't work. Friend of mine said that I might need to get new heads. So here I am, looking for some input. The truck is a 2004 F-150 4.6L with 123,000 miles on it. As far as I know, the plugs have NEVER been changed. I have had the truck since 72,000 miles and I haven't done them (aside from this one). EDIT: i don't know if it'll make a difference or not, but it does sound like I have an exhaust leak as well. It's been going on for a little bit, but haven't had the time to address it.
wow! Twice. This happened to me. I have the 5.4. What ha happened to me was I had just changed the plugs but on #8 it got cross threaded. I thought I had it in all the way, even torqued it to spec, but it had crossed only a couple turns in. Took the truck for a drive on completion and pop! The dealership had to rethread it for me. $250. Good luck. I hope it's as simple as that for you.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 PM

I'm hoping! Anyone else have any experience with this??
Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 PM

If I read your post correctly, you have a motor with 123k on it and the plugs have never been changed.

Why don't you change the plugs? Seems like the smart thing to do to me. While you are at it, make sure they are torqued to spec.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:06 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Start by replacing the plug and torquing it to the correct amount for your engine. Drive it for a couple days, and then retorque it down.

But I think that even though you can get the plug to thread, it might have minimal thread left. There's no other explanation. If it doesn't stay in there after torquing is down twice, somethings wrong (either wrong plug or stripped threads).

I've had good success with heli-coils so I wouldn't shy away from them. I had an old 92 mazda b2200 that I had to helicoil and that thing is still running today with the helicoil from 2003

Quick Reply: Spark plug issues