Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

spark plug broken porcelain/ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default spark plug broken porcelain/ceramic

Hi there

After trying to remove my spark plugs carefully I managed to break all 8 after soaking with PB. In the image you can see the first two broke in mode 1 failure leaving the empty electrode shell...Easy removal with Lisle tool (which is on its way). However the rest are mode 3 failure with the porcelain still in the electrode shell. So my question:

How far can the Lisle tool push the porcelain down into the electrode shell? How much does it need to grip?

I can try to chip away at the porcelain in the cylinder head but that is tough to get to. Hopefully the Lisle tool will take care of this, I'd rather not want to go and buy the extraction pin/epoxy (not to mention the two electrode are still stuck in the porcelain in the cylinder.

Does anyone have experience with the mode 3 failure porcelain stuck in cylinder head and the Lisle tool?

Thanks alot!

Old 06-04-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The pusher tool should be turned until the center screw bottoms out. The length is preset so you just slowly turn till it bottoms.

You should bottom it out because you want as many threads from the tap in the metal shell as possible. You one get 1-2 tries before the metal shell is can't be grabbed anymore.. so you want the best grip possible.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:46 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Agree with milos

You need the best bite you can get or it won't come out . I failed to do that on one of my first tries . The second time I made sure .
All 8 you must have a lot of miles on these .
I would pre soak them with carb cleaner to dissolve carbon . And afterwards make a tube on a vacuum to clean cly out . Then clean snout of plug cly area with carb cleaner to not break new plugs going in .
Old 06-05-2017, 06:08 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

And replace those boots and springs.. they look nasty