Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Some people just shouldn't try

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:32 AM
2004 lifted FX4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Some people just shouldn't try

I was mad that the top of my black leather steering wheel has been killed by the sun and the 12o'clock high one handed driving that i do. Thus I wanted to put a cover over it, simple right. I have tried to "universal or fits most" covers now and right as you spin that last little bit over the bottom of the steering wheel, the edging rips apart and looks like trash. I have covers on all my other cars (2009 Mazda 6, 2005 Mustang, 2002 Jeep Liberty) and they went on fine. Does anyone have a cover on their steering wheel that isn't camo and can advise me on a better option or a website that would have some options?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

My buddy got a black "leather" cover from Autozone and it fit ok. If you go to AZ, you can find out the diameter of the steering wheel and get one that is meant to fit.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 AM
2004 lifted FX4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
My buddy got a black "leather" cover from Autozone and it fit ok. If you go to AZ, you can find out the diameter of the steering wheel and get one that is meant to fit.
Autozone and PEPboys are the only two places I shop in person and Summit Racing online. The two I have messed up were suppose to fit. The last one was a "will fit your truck" fit the only thing that hasn't changed is me putting it on.... I think the problem may have been identified!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Haha... Well doing it in the cold is not helping anything. Some of them will go on better if you heat them up with a blowdryer and make them more plyable.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine from Wally*World (walmart), I like because it matches the wood grain dash.
With the help of two screw drivers they fit nice and tight, I thought I was going to rip it too, but just be patient and don't put too much force into it. If you heat it up with a blow-dryer it would make it easier, I just left mine on top of the warm hood for like 15 minutes and it was good.
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Wheelskins.com

Did my truck and my wife's. Takes about an hour and half to do it properly and it looks factory and feels great. No over sized feeling from those crap slip on's.

My wife's:

Old 12-07-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XPerties
Wheelskins.com

Did my truck and my wife's. Takes about an hour and half to do it properly and it looks factory and feels great. No over sized feeling from those crap slip on's.
My crap isn't over sized, actually it is really tight on there, it feels great and looks awesome.
I don't like the stitches / lines that I see on your wife's steering wheel, looks a little sloppy for hour and half job.

Wheelskins
Subtotal: $54.95 + shipping
Install time: 1hr and 30 minutes

Wally world
Subtotal: $11.95 + driving there
Install time: 5 minutes (do it in the parking lot while still there, in case something happens you can return it)

XPerties, I'm not hatting on your stuff man, just pointing it out.
By the way, is that a iPhone mount for the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD, where you get that?? I have a iPod in the glove compartment, but would like to use my iPhone instead, but have it mounted somewhere I can see it when someone calls.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 PM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

It's all good bro.

The mount is actually for my tomtom but they have ones for the iphone. It's from proclips. Little pricing but I was impressed with the quality of it. My ipod sits in my glove department like yours.

Quick Reply: Some people just shouldn't try