Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Slow radiator leak 04 5.4. Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slow radiator leak 04 5.4. Help

Hi all,

Second issue here, my 04 5.4 just recently started leaking radiator fluid down the left side of the subframe and ford said the radiator is bad. They quoted me 900 to replace it and said its going to be more expensive because they changed the radiator design after 04 and to replace my radiator the other coolant lines need to be replaced too because the locations were changed on the new radiator model. Has anyone ever run ino this before? Sounds like a bunch of bs and id like to just buy a 115$ replacement from rock auto and be dine with it.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 PM
I eat pork skins everyday

Received 70 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a ton of heater coil issues with my old 97 Lariat, and it turned out to be a severe electrolysis issue that ate up 2 more heater cores and my radiator. The local garage I use took care of the 2 heater cores and installation because they could not fix it the first time. They charged me for the radiator install and it was about $600 out the door. What kills you with that job (regardless of model year) is the labor, the flush, and the fluid... That price is about right coming from a Ford dealer, which I have found locally to be constistently about 25-30% more cost than the smaller shops (which do a great job on Fords IMHO). They will have to drain your coolant, remove the radiator, install the new radiator, flush the system, and refill with final collant volume - if you want to do it the right way. By all means, if you just want to pinch the hoses, keep the old coolant, and R&R the radiator then you can save a bunch of money up front, but I would not want to treat my truck that way. You may have an electrolysis issue yourself, so i would want a flush and then I would take a digital volt meter and get a baseline potential that day between your fluid and severa grounds (take the avg). Then I would measure it again at weekly intervals and see if that potential rises over time. If so, you have some electrolysis going on and it will eat up the new radiator again... I recommend you set aside the money and get it done correctly - your truck is worth it. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Dude, no way.. Go on eBay, buy a s331 radiator (dual bypass and full aluminum) buy the bottom hose. Costed me 225 all together. (Bought two hoses)
This mod isn't very hard to do. I had the sane problem. Took it to ford and they wanted 700.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can't find it. I think the ford racing one is cheaper to and it's a direct replacement. No swapping out hoses.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im looking all over ebay and google, and so far all i am able to find is the s331 lower hose. So they don't just make a drop in replacement anymore for the 04 from like a rockauto or autozone?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Have yours re-cored by a radiator shop.

Quick Reply: Slow radiator leak 04 5.4. Help