Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

skid plate

Old 08-14-2016, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skid plate

The first pic was in my box when I bought it guessing it is the skid plate. and the rubber piece under the radiator I am guessing encloses the bottom on the radiator for air but is only held by 2 clips so most of time just hanging there. Would any of you have pics to show me properly how these are installed on truck so I can properly have it together. 06 fx4 Thank you the 3rd pic is taken from the top looking down at the ground between the bumper and the radiator. its open and I am sure not suppose to be that way.
Attached Thumbnails skid plate-skid3.jpg   skid plate-skid1.jpg   skid plate-skid2.jpg  
Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default I don't have that metal plate but mine not 4x4

My rubber thing under radiator had tore loose on the radiator side , I had to use aluminum flat plate to repair it and blind rubber expansion nuts to hold it in place . Plastic push pins would not hold it . I had to put spacers in there also as it is not a flat surface to attach to .
I live in hot florida I didn't want to lose air flow path or get dirt etc from underneath into radiator area. Holes in steel are between ac condenser and radiator core so I was careful to not hit them with a fastener .
Old 08-15-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 249 Likes on 213 Posts

On the second pic, you can see the bolt holes for the front of the skid plate. Once you put the plate in place with those holes lined up with those holes, the back ones line up. I just put mine back on this weekend when I did an oil change, I am pretty sure that a 1/2 inch socket fit the bolt heads, not really sure on the actual thread size but there are two that go straight up (on the back of the plate) and two that go in the front toward the engine. Takes about 2 or 3 minutes to put it back on, very easy to do.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
On the second pic, you can see the bolt holes for the front of the skid plate. Once you put the plate in place with those holes lined up with those holes, the back ones line up. I just put mine back on this weekend when I did an oil change, I am pretty sure that a 1/2 inch socket fit the bolt heads, not really sure on the actual thread size but there are two that go straight up (on the back of the plate) and two that go in the front toward the engine. Takes about 2 or 3 minutes to put it back on, very easy to do.
Is that where the clips are for front?
Do you have to remove it to do oil changes?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 249 Likes on 213 Posts

Yes, the clips in the front are for the front 2 bolts to hold the plate on. I had mine removed because I did some work underneath, don't think I had to remove it to do the oil changes though.
The following users liked this post:
wursteroutdoors (08-15-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: skid plate