Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Showing off my front end and brake rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 12:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Showing off my front end and brake rebuild

• Moog upper and lower control arms
  • Moog tie end rods
  • Moog sway bar link and bushings
  • Bosch Quietcast front/rear rotors and wheel bearings
  • Powerstop black powder coated calipers
  • Powerstop Evolution front/rear ceramic pads
  • Descaled and painted steering knuckle/tie rod/sway bar

The following 5 users liked this post by rajncajn:
Amish419 (03-25-2022), CapnObvious (03-16-2022), Ecobuilder (03-18-2022), PeachTex Outdoors (03-16-2022), Port11Gen (03-24-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 01:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lookin' good!
The following users liked this post:
rajncajn (03-16-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work, dude. Do you notice alot of difference in how it rides and steers? Are those new coilovers, too, or stock?
Old 03-17-2022, 09:02 PM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent Vega
Nice work, dude. Do you notice alot of difference in how it rides and steers? Are those new coilovers, too, or stock?
more than likely, he can't compare to new. thats likely 150k miles ago. I have done a full fron end rehab on my 03 and it made it feel like a new truck. I've also done it on a few cars. I find that replacing springs is optional and offers minimal improvement. But shocks, brakes, and everything else he did are game changers and I'd almost argue a "while you're in there" item even if you only need one or two.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vincent Vega
No, the coilovers are the original from when I purchased it last year. I'm not certain if they are original from the factory. The rest is a longer story, but I haven't found out yet.

Originally I just wanted to replace the front rotors/wheel bearings & pads because the passenger wheel bearing was going out. I tried to save a few bucks by ordering from Amazon and the experience wasn't good. I received the first rotor 3 days late and it looked like it had been dropped. The lugs were punched through the thin plywood protection and the box was a bit beat up. Still, I inspected it and all seemed fine with it. The second one never showed up and I was forced to have to do a return. Since I needed to order another one I went with Rockauto instead and decided to go ahead and order my suspension parts as well since I'd developed quite a squeak on the passenger side as well and I knew all the bushings were shot. I got all my parts two days early and got to work. I was completely done when I took that picture and went to put the wheels on when I noticed the first rotor from amazon was in fact damaged. One of the lugs was bent where it was dropped and it was only really noticeable when the rim was on. For that price I wasn't about to risk using it, so off it came & back it went. This time I ordered the rotor from Rockauto and decided to go ahead and replace the calipers as well while I was at it. Unfortunately this time the rotor was two days late and when it finally showed up it was in worse condition than the first one I got from Amazon. First, it also had been dropped and was punched through the plywood with a bent lug. But not only that, it was obviously a used part. All of the coating had already been worn off the rotor, there was bearing grease still on the inside of the hub and a grime ring where the rim met the hub. So, back it went as well. 4th time was finally a charm and I got the final rotor late this evening. I put everything back together and hastily bled the brakes, but I was using a new tool to do it (pneumatic pump) and obviously didn't do a good job of it because the brakes were still mushy. At that point I was out of brake fluid & too late to finish, so I'll have to wait until I get off work tomorrow.

I'll update when I get it back on the road (fingers crossed).

Last edited by rajncajn; 03-17-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Spike0180
more than likely, he can't compare to new. thats likely 150k miles ago. I have done a full fron end rehab on my 03 and it made it feel like a new truck. I've also done it on a few cars. I find that replacing springs is optional and offers minimal improvement. But shocks, brakes, and everything else he did are game changers and I'd almost argue a "while you're in there" item even if you only need one or two.
Shocks & springs I stuck with what was already on there. I probably should have went ahead and replaced them as well, but I was already well over what I had originally planned to spend at that time. If it turns out those need to go as well, it wasn't difficult getting them out this time, so it should be a relatively easy job.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:09 PM

The saga continues. Bled the brakes again this afternoon then my neighbor (mechanic) helped me do them again and can't keep pressure in the line. Going to try again tomorrow, but I think the master cylinder needs to be replaced.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:18 AM

Received 138 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm running the Bosch Quietcast, as well. Very pleased so far, and a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly's.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:25 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts

As Rainman Ray says, "Shiny!"

Quick Reply: Showing off my front end and brake rebuild