Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

shaking and viberations at 55-60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry shaking and viberations at 55-60 mph

I have a 2007 f150 4x4 crew cab. I have been battling this problem for a long time. the truck shakes real bad in the rear end or appears to be at 55-60 mph, 54 is smoooth and above 63 is smooth. Thought it was the tires , had them balanced and front end alinged . Same problem. went in again they said it was the tires they where the wrong rating . Bought new stock tires and balanced . same prblem, I put in new u joints and the drive line balanced , same problem. If I put a load in the back it still shakes and even more than before when its emity. some times it will be smooth at 55 for a short period but you feel it then in the front and under the seat . You can change rpms or even put it in nuteral at that speed and it will still do it. I have also put on three different sets of tires and same problem. I think its mehcanical, the local shops seem to not be able to figureit out. its been 5 tire shops two mechanic shops . any suggetions or have you had this problem .
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnt63
I have a 2007 f150 4x4 crew cab. I have been battling this problem for a long time. the truck shakes real bad in the rear end or appears to be at 55-60 mph, 54 is smoooth and above 63 is smooth. Thought it was the tires , had them balanced and front end alinged . Same problem. went in again they said it was the tires they where the wrong rating . Bought new stock tires and balanced . same prblem, I put in new u joints and the drive line balanced , same problem. If I put a load in the back it still shakes and even more than before when its emity. some times it will be smooth at 55 for a short period but you feel it then in the front and under the seat . You can change rpms or even put it in nuteral at that speed and it will still do it. I have also put on three different sets of tires and same problem. I think its mehcanical, the local shops seem to not be able to figureit out. its been 5 tire shops two mechanic shops . any suggetions or have you had this problem .
I have the exact same problem the truck is in the shop.... I'll let you know when i get it back.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Same here it is a 2005 XL single cab. I have replaced all shocks, new rims, new tires, new u-joints, driveshaft balanced, differential replaced. Transmission is not the problem since I had to rebuilt it. My next step is to change the transmission mount. I don't want to get my hopes very high but I think it will solve the problem. I am waiting for the part, it will arrive next week and I will replace it. I will let you know how it goes. I am very frustrated already, the truck didn't even had that many when all this started, around 50K. Right now it has 68K.

Actually there is a TSB where one of the suggestions is to replace the transmission mount.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Devil's advocate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Common problem. Mine does it too and like you say you can feel it even more when loaded or pulling a trailer. I just ignore it anymore.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

mine does the same thing. i just speed up :P
Old 05-04-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry. I posted about this years ago in a post called, "Not So Good Vibrations". It has happened since the day I bought the truck. 11 miles on it. Now I am at 133,000+, and been through 3 brands of tires with different load ratings. While it was under warranty, I took it to the dealer all the time. They could never figure it out. They did just as much as you have mentioned, and more. Just seems to be a common problem. As the others have said, just speed up.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could the ebrake be causing this?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Disposablehero
Could the ebrake be causing this?
no. my truck shook before i broke my parking brake holding pins and it still shakes now without the parking brake
Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM

I would pay no mind to it but , when you look in your rear view mirrow and the back end of the truck is hoping 1 to 1/2 inches up and down as if I was driving over rumble strips in the road . .tried speeding up and got a ticket for 4 mph over the 55 speed limit. havent had a ticket in 20 years, thanks ford. Looks like this is a bigger problem than ford wants to let out out. they act as if there is no problem,and 99 % of all f150 I get behind , theres seems to be driving smooth. Lots of bumps in the road will actully make it drive without the bed hoping around. The truck also has a sound that comes in a rhytem ,(sorry spelling isnt great). as if You where driving on a bridge where the connector joints and you hear the thump thump . Its like that. when going 65-70 its still there but like I said earler the hoping is gone. I jacked the truck up about a week ago removed tires again and it drove perfect at all speeds than after a about 300 mile its back .Its not just the way the f150 is or should be ,not for the cost of a vehical. Iam embarrased to drive this truck with the flow of traffic at 55-60. maybe we can get this figured out here, thanks people your great.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rosie
I have the exact same problem the truck is in the shop.... I'll let you know when i get it back.
thank you Rosie That would be great more the better they cant seem to get it here in my town .

Last edited by shawnt63; 05-04-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: needed to finish sentence

Quick Reply: shaking and viberations at 55-60 mph