Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Selling Truck, Catalytic Converter went bac

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Selling Truck, Catalytic Converter went bac

I was about 3 days away from selling my '05 Crew Cab Lariat F150, and the engine light came on. The dealer called today and said it was a clogged catalytic converter. In the first year I owned it (from new), it had all of the fuel injectors replaced 3 times, had the catalytic converter replaced, had 3 of the coils go bad, the computer go bad, the auto lights on go bad, etc., etc. In short, it has been a lemon from day one. I have two questions:

1) What is the cheapest way to get it back on the road to sell? True duals with no cats? Test pipe in place of the cat? Drill out the cat? I just want to fix it and GET RID OF THIS PIECE OF JUNK!

2) Who do you contact with Ford (who can do something) about buying a lemon from them? My dealer doesn't seem to think all of these problems are a big deal. This is my first, and absolutely my last Ford truck purchase! I would think they would have SOMEONE in the company that cares if a new customer bought a piece of junk from them?

Thanks for your sage advice!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd hit ebay and find a hi flow cat as far as contacting fmc this is there number 800-392-3673 try it out good luck.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ByGuy
I was about 3 days away from selling my '05 Crew Cab Lariat F150, and the engine light came on. The dealer called today and said it was a clogged catalytic converter. In the first year I owned it (from new), it had all of the fuel injectors replaced 3 times, had the catalytic converter replaced, had 3 of the coils go bad, the computer go bad, the auto lights on go bad, etc., etc. In short, it has been a lemon from day one. I have two questions:

1) What is the cheapest way to get it back on the road to sell? True duals with no cats? Test pipe in place of the cat? Drill out the cat? I just want to fix it and GET RID OF THIS PIECE OF JUNK!

2) Who do you contact with Ford (who can do something) about buying a lemon from them? My dealer doesn't seem to think all of these problems are a big deal. This is my first, and absolutely my last Ford truck purchase! I would think they would have SOMEONE in the company that cares if a new customer bought a piece of junk from them?

Thanks for your sage advice!
You're not going to get much help on a Ford truck forum when you call them pieces of junk!

Good luck with your next purchase.

One piece of advice: replace the cat, don't remove it. It's against FEDERAL law to remove the cats. No dealer will knowingly take the vehicle in on trade, as they (or you) cannot legally sell it.

Huge $$$ fine.

Quick Reply: Selling Truck, Catalytic Converter went bac