Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Scratched + Dented Tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched + Dented Tailgate

So this morning i scratched and dented my tailgate. I was backing up my truck so i could hook a friends trailer on, and while he was waving me to stop, the trailer slipped out of his hand and i could not stop quick enough. The trailer raised up (decent size boat on it) and smacked right into my truck.

Does anyone have any idea from looking at these pictures if this is something that could be easily fixed by a body shop? Or would i need a whole new tailgate? And if it is something that can be fixed, what do you think it would cost?

I'm going to try and find someone who can take a look at it and give me an estimate, but i wanted to see what you guys had to say first. I'm hoping maybe somebody on here has had to fix there tailgate before or has experience with this and can tell me what to expect.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:11 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DANG man I'm sorry to see that. The only thing I can think of and recommend is taking it to a body shop. I'm sure they're going to tell you that you're gonna need a new tailgate.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had similar things fixed in the past. The only complicating factor is how close the damage is to that line that runs along your tailgate. They have mobile guys out here that can come and fix it.
I would try and see who the pro-shops at the ford dealerships use, They are usually the best and quickest.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:41 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I worked for a body shop for a while and there are two ways of fixing it. One way is where they use metal rods ( from behind ) to push the dent out ( so called paintless dent repair ) but I doubt they could do that for the long one. But once that's done even if they could, they would have to scratch up prob 1 foot circle wise around it and then prim and paint it. Worth a shot but I dunno if they can get those metal rods to push that out since it's not a panel like they were designed for. Other way is get your buddy to help pay for a new tailgate. Sorry to hear that happened...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:41 PM

You can fix ANYTHING. That one might be better off with a new one though bro. Like sincity said its close to that line in your tailgate, it will never be perfect again. Thats a pretty good dent. SORRY
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leave it, and shop around for a new one, they are not that hard to find.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This Post **** guy, Ty. What? Is he employed by the forum? Yesterday he was at 5K something. Wonder if he needs a helper, I retire in 6 months, please, pretty please, can I help you? Hey Buddy, I am bleeding for you! My daughter, got my truck stuck. I'm not going there! Your tailgate can be fixed by a body shop. Wish, I was still in touch to have both fixed, yours and mine. Its not something that can be done by a novice. Us mechanics fix things all day long, body guys are a different breed. I hate them. I had three different body shops that I worked with in Orange Couty California, my personal work went to only one. There is good and bad, I know I'm rambling. Hope the relationship between you and the trailer owner isn't strained over this. Friends are forever, the truck can be fixed. And as Ty said, find a replacement in a scrap yard that is color matched.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 PM

No i'm not mad at my buddy, we've been friends for over 10yrs. It was an accident and something like this is not worth losing a friendship over. And besides, he had a bad day as well, the trailer took a nice chunk of his finger out when it slipped out of his hand. But even after all this we still decided to take the boat out and go fishing, and about a half mile out we noticed it was taking on water. Come to find out there was a whole in the bottom of boat. We didn't realize it at first, because it took a little bit for the boat to fill up underneath before it started leaking through the deck. Strange thing is we just took the thing out last week and had no leaks. It's an old boat though, old trailer, this may very well be it's last season lol.

It does suck walking behind my truck now and seeing this though, ughhh wtf! lol. But it's not the end of the world, i'll get it fixed if i can find a good shop or buy a new tailgate, whichever ends up being cheaper. Somebody at work actually mentioned putting some kind of black panel over the lower half of the tailgate where the scratches and dents are. Considering it would probably go well with the rest of the black on my truck. But i'm just not sure how that would work, or look.

Last edited by metal83; 10-14-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Hydro Commando

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that happened to your truck, man. Just tell everybody you were pullin a chevy out of a ditch, and the tremendous power of the F-150 ripped the frame out of the chevy, and hit your tailgate and thats all the damage the wimpy chevy frame could to. Or get one of those big band-aid stickers to cover it. Or just ignore me. Because it's late and i'm tired, and i don't make sense right now.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by boomsling
Sorry that happened to your truck, man. Just tell everybody you were pullin a chevy out of a ditch, and the tremendous power of the F-150 ripped the frame out of the chevy, and hit your tailgate and thats all the damage the wimpy chevy frame could to. Or get one of those big band-aid stickers to cover it. Or just ignore me. Because it's late and i'm tired, and i don't make sense right now.
LOL, good ideas though.

Quick Reply: Scratched + Dented Tailgate