Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Running terrible suddenly. Lots of codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running terrible suddenly. Lots of codes

So I fired up my truck about an hr ago and let it warm up for about 10 minutes. When I jumped in it to leave I noticed it was shuddering like a misfire and I've been chasing a random misfire for a long time. So finally for the first time the engine light comes on then starts blinking. I'm less then a block from home and its running terrible so I limp it back. Now the codes I got off my edge...

P0022-timing over advanced bank 2
P0400-random misfire detected
P0305-cylinder 5 misfire
P0307-cylinder 6 misfire
P0308-cylinder 8 misfire
P2198-O2 sensor #1 on bank 2 stuck rich

Plugs are about 2 years old an only have about 25k km on them
I've replaced 3 coil packs on bank 1
Recently cleaned throttle body & maf
New fuel filter 6 months ago
Always on top of oil and filter changes, air filter etc
Gotts mod, edge on custom level 1, and muffler pipe cut in front of muffler with y pipe for dual exit pipes are the only mods

It's -15c outside and it's Christmas Eve and I was supposed to be driving all over the country side visiting family tonight so if anyone can just give me place to start that'd be great. Sry for the huge post
Old 12-24-2012, 07:00 PM

I just noticed a couple mistakes I made.
P0307 is cylinder 7 misfire and I've replaced the cops on bank 2 (deivers side) not bank 1.
I've had noisy drivers side cam phaser for about 6 months now and I'm wondering if it finally crapped out entirely or if that would even cause all this
Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds possible that your timing chain jumped.
But it could be your vct sensor also, thats what controls the cam phaser
Old 12-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Just replaced both VCT solenoids last month along with a new fpdm
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your exhaust exciting from the tips if one is noticeably lower. Clogged cat happened to my buddy a few months back
Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Ford Noob!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goldteam
Check your exhaust exciting from the tips if one is noticeably lower. Clogged cat happened to my buddy a few months back
X2 had the same thing happen to me in my wife's old escape. It was the catalytic converter.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 PM

It doesn't have true duals tho? It's stock 2 into 1 after the cats then a y pipe where the stock muffler used to be
Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

im voting clog cats with all those codes, and with the O2 code in there. and when you change your cops, you want to do them all at once (or as close to as possible). if one went, the rest are sure to follow shortly.

if your phasers went, your truck would sound like a diesel.

gotta romp on it every now and then to clean them cats out lol. i do it bout once a week when im getting on the hwy. that's why you see cars blow some black smoke when they floor it, means they almost never go full throttle and that's all the crap coming out the cats.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:05 PM

Lol ya I drive it pretty hard so there's no issue there. And the cops are just replacing them to try an get rid of a random misfire not from a bad one. I'd replace one and see if it runs better then if not I'd move it. And I've had the loud phaser noise on the driver side for about 6 months. I've been planning on doing a full timing set and phasers just wait for funds and a place to work on it
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM

So I fired it up today and still the same thing, so I smacked the cats with a big long screw driver to see if I could any loose material and nothing. So I started checking every plug connector I could find cause I've had a lot of them undone lately and all were good. Pulled both cam sensors and checked them out and couldn't see anything wrong with them. So I decided to swap the bank 2 VCT solenoid for one of my old ones and it seems to be fine now! When I changed the VCTs it was to see if it got quieter and help with any misfires and sluggishness and it didn't. So I'll be taking the faulty new one back for a replacement or maybe even my money back (parts store guy is a good friend) and use the money for something else I need

Quick Reply: Running terrible suddenly. Lots of codes