Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Running cable from cab to the bumper suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running cable from cab to the bumper suggestions

I decided to purchase a wired back up camera. Using the rubber grommet near my gas pedal as my cable entrance, I wanted suggestions on the route to take the video cable to the rear tail light (along the frame?). Will cable ties be a good long term solution for attaching the cable to the truck? Do you put silicon caulk around the wire to seal it when the cable goes through the grommet?

04 SC.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:59 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by MO150
I decided to purchase a wired back up camera. Using the rubber grommet near my gas pedal as my cable entrance, I wanted suggestions on the route to take the video cable to the rear tail light (along the frame?). Will cable ties be a good long term solution for attaching the cable to the truck? Do you put silicon caulk around the wire to seal it when the cable goes through the grommet?

04 SC.

I've done this for my LED bed lights and also my automatic tailgate lock.

If you remove the driver side sill panel on the floor, and peel the carpet up, there is a large rubber grommet that all the factory wiring goes through from inside the cab to underneath the truck.

Use that to get the wires from inside to under the truck(You will need a punch or some tool to allow you to get your wires in there, it is very tight, and you don't need to use any extra caulk or anything). Then follow the factory cables to the rear of the truck, using zip ties to secure your wiring. If you are going to a location that you can't follow factory wiring, run the wire high and behind a frame rail. But 99% of the time you can follow a factory cable run. I prefer to use a cable assembly instead of discrete wires, so I used a 2-wire shielded cable and ran that with the factory wire bundles.

If you decide to use discrete wires, I would get some wire loom and put them in there for aesthetics and also protection.

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 04-20-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

^What he said. I had did a backup light and used an old 14-3 extension cord, I needed 3 wires and didn't want to pull singles. Ghetto? debateable. Durable? Yup. I zip tied it along the bundle existing next to the frame.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by scobar
^What he said. I had did a backup light and used an old 14-3 extension cord, I needed 3 wires and didn't want to pull singles. Ghetto? debateable. Durable? Yup. I zip tied it along the bundle existing next to the frame.

Ghetto? YES, lol.

Durable yeah you should be fine, I would just hide that extension cord real good under the frame so no one sees it and takes a picture.

Quick Reply: Running cable from cab to the bumper suggestions