Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Runaway truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Runaway truck

I have a 2008 AWD F150 4x4 Limited truck. I have driven this truck around 4,000 miles since purchasing her. The truck will run away with you, i.e., when coasting the speed will increase to the point where you must be constantly aware when you are driving on a down grade the truck will increase so much that you can easily gain 15-20 miles an hour with no problem.

This is more evident when using the cruise control, but not exclusively. So much that I am afraid that I will slip up and easily get a ticket. Formally I had a Sport Trac and it seemed like it somehow had the ability to somehow "hold back". The F150 will continue to increase to the point that if I am running at the speed limit and enter a down grade I must keep my foot ready to apply the brakes, even on the slightest hill.

Does anyone else experience this, especially those who own AWD trucks, Harley and Limited owners.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

correct me of im wrong someone but when you are in cruise and go down a hill and start to go faster all your truck does is let off the gas, not apply the brake to slow you down. so you can be in cruise, but go faster than that if you go down a hill. and it doesnt take much motor to keep us at a cruising speed so it can do it on a small hill when you go down also. i have hit my governer on a downhill while my cruise is at 70, big downhills will do it.

if it is doing this on flat ground and just constantly speeding you up, then you need to bring it in to get fixed cause its not working.

if it is not fully letting off the gas on a hill then i would bring it in also.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't have a AWD truck but when you go down a grade you will inevitably gain speed. Near my house theres a hill coming off of the escarpment were you drop 400 ft in a 1 1/2 mile, So if i set my cruise at 90 km/h my truck won't let me go faster than 100 km/h. Once the truck hits 10 km/h over set cruise speed it down shifts and spikes the rpms up to hold your speed using the engines compression. If i was you i would go to your dealer and get them to play with your cruise settings.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Skidoo. I am really interested in knowing if all the F150s downshift or if your model is exclusive to Canada. I drove mine to Asheville NC today on I-26 and had to constantly apply the brake on the sections of road that descend. I never had to worry about that with my Sport Trac; it did a better job at holding back on descents.

I am curious if my truck should downshift or not. Further, is this an issue that is only on the AWD trucks or every F150.

Hey, Redneck. Never said anything about the truck automatically applying the brakes. That would be epic.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 150Limited
Thanks, Skidoo. I am really interested in knowing if all the F150s downshift or if your model is exclusive to Canada. I drove mine to Asheville NC today on I-26 and had to constantly apply the brake on the sections of road that descend. I never had to worry about that with my Sport Trac; it did a better job at holding back on descents.

I am curious if my truck should downshift or not. Further, is this an issue that is only on the AWD trucks or every F150.

Hey, Redneck. Never said anything about the truck automatically applying the brakes. That would be epic.
No problem, and its not that my truck is exclusive to Canada i just have a plain old xlt. Like i said i think its just the setting on your cruise. Like if i don't have cruise on i will be flying by the bottom of the hill but with cruise it will hold me back. I would of thought a AWD truck would be better than a RWD truck for holding a constant speed down a grade do to more drive line drag.

Quick Reply: Runaway truck