Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacing Ignition Switch - Anything I need to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Replacing Ignition Switch - Anything I need to look out for?

I am going to be replacing my turn signal switch due to it being loose and having lots of play in it. Along with the writing being just about missing.

With this being said, since I do not know the history of my truck, I figured I'd go ahead replace the ignition switch as well (not the key cylinder, but the actual ignition switch) while I have the steering column apart.

Is the security system tied into the ignition switch (as in something needing to be programmed) or is it tied into a separate system? Just trying to prevent any unexpected surprises.

Last edited by qdeezie; 01-26-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Ok, to close this thread out, the answer to my above question is no. It is not tied into the security system from the perspective of the truck not starting up. You can switch it out without doing anything special and move on with your life.

I received my new ignition switch today and installed it and the truck starts up and runs fine as always.

For those that care to know, the turn signal does have to come off to access the ignition switch. There are two tabs that you have to squeeze in to remove it. It is extremely easy and in my opinion should be considered replacing at the same time the turn signal is replaced.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Quick Reply: Replacing Ignition Switch - Anything I need to look out for?