Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

rear view camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rear view camera

In a 2007 F150 XLT I have a back up camera temporarily placed on the left license plate top screw. It is not yet hooked up, when hooked up it is supposed to use wifi to send the picture to my Garmin GPS unit on the dash. If were to mount the camera, maybe at most an inch wide. on the tailgate itself, how would I run wires to the taillight as insrttructed for power? It is to attach to the back uplight wire on one side or the other. I don't want the wire rubbing anywhere of course. Maybe on the license plate is best, but not centered as placed. If I were to hook it ups o I could use it anytime, not just backing up, where should I hook the power wire?

Last edited by Jayeffel; 12-16-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 12-15-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

You should be getting power from the reverse light. I don't remember which wire it is, but a test light will help you find which wire is hot when the reverse lights come on. Run the wires under the bed and up the hole leading to the back of the taillight housing. Remember you have to connect to the wire that turns the reverse light on, not a constant power or the camera will be on all the time.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

If mounting on the tailgate don't forget to put some weather resistant quick connections in case you want to take the tailgate off for something.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwed05
You should be getting power from the reverse light. I don't remember which wire it is, but a test light will help you find which wire is hot when the reverse lights come on. Run the wires under the bed and up the hole leading to the back of the taillight housing. Remember you have to connect to the wire that turns the reverse light on, not a constant power or the camera will be on all the time.
Yes that's true. I took the wire from the trailer wiring harness was the easiest.

I did however, in my setup, choose to use a wire that was HOT anytime the ignition is on. I wanted the camera to be on even when not in reverse so I could look at a trailer and/or monitor a load being towed while I am in drive.

A good camera shouldn't have a problem being powered all the time; I've had mine like this for 3+ years.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where would I find a constant Hot wire in the rear of the truck?

Thinking of mounting it on the bottom part of the tailgate if I can figure how to get wires to power, and how to keep wires from getting pinched. May not though. I think if my memory is coreect, the power to the left reverse light would be pink and green from the Haynes manual wiring diagram--which is about two feet from me if I'd get motivated enough to look at it.

I am thinking of constant power so I could check my rear anytime.

Quick Reply: rear view camera