Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear drive shaft seal at the transfer case leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear drive shaft seal at the transfer case leaking

Hi. Last summer I lost my rear drive shaft. I'm pretty sure it was because the hanger bearing failed, or just let go of the body where it was mounted. My mechanic found a good used driveshaft since you can't just replace the hanger and bearing. Anyway, the new driveshaft was a bit different and had a much more heavy duty looking hanger bearing assembly which made me think they beefed them up after issues like this. Mine is an 05 163" WB. they replaced the seal at the transfer case but it has leaked ever since. Any Ideas why its so leaky? Is there a difference in the seals that anyone is aware of from the older driveshaft to the newer ones?

thanks for any input.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Mark

Received 2,424 Likes on 2,122 Posts

if it had been leaking ever since they installed it .. why didn't you have them fix it ?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
if it had been leaking ever since they installed it .. why didn't you have them fix it ?
Thanks for the bump. Long story, but there was a mishap when the mechanic towed the truck. He jackknifed while backing and damaged the back door of my topper which was already in bad shape since I'd broken the glass prior to this and had put plexiglass in place of the original glass. He broke the plexiglass and crumpled the aluminum just enough to make replacing the plexiglass impossible. I have a long and good relationship with him and felt bad about the situation but he ended up not charging me for the driveshaft or the install or the tow. I was prepared to pay 800 for the work but paid nothing. I ordered a new rear door and paid around 350 for it, and came out ahead on the deal.
That being said, I'm not going to go back and expect him to warranty the work. I continue to use him and will in the future. I just want to make sure if I go back and pay him to replace the seal, I'm giving myself the best chance to fix it correctly.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:53 AM
Mark

Received 2,424 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Your a nice guy... He would be fixing it if it were me regardless of what he charged..
Old 04-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Your a nice guy... He would be fixing it if it were me regardless of what he charged..
The tailshaft seal is suppose to look "wet" as long as its not forming droplets its perfectly norma

Quick Reply: Rear drive shaft seal at the transfer case leaking