Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Random overheating - "Engine Power Reduced"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Random overheating - "Engine Power Reduced"

Got an 06' Screw, 5.4 with 165k miles

5-6 weeks I was driving home during rush hour and I heard the beep/ding noise ya hear when you open your doors, ect. So I'm looking at my dash thinking I had a CEL come on but there was nothing lit up, then I see on the message center "Engine Power Reduced". Then I notice my temp gauge is pinned all the way hot. I hurry and went into neutral, turned the truck off and pulled off the freeway. There wasn't any steam/smoke ect coming from under the hood so I waited a min and turned the key back on and temp was fine. Started driving again and maybe 2 miles later same thing happens. Pop the hood and see that there's a small tear/rip in the bottom of the heater core hose right at the bend. Patched it up with some self-sealing repair tape, got it back home with no more issues and no CEL ever came on! I replaced the hose, had coolant flushed and oil changed, truck was running great! Well 2 weeks ago I was getting on the freeway, almost WOT and I watched the temp gauge go from just below 1/2 way to pinned all the way hot, got the engine power reduced message. Pulled over, turned the key off for 5 seconds then back on and the temp showed normal again. Started up and drove all the way to work with no problems. This has happened 5-6 times now in the last 2 weeks. It'll randomly go all the way hot so I'll pull over and turn the truck off then immediately turn the key back on and the temp shows normal again. Start back up and start driving with no issues. I made sure there wasn't a bunch of air in the system, it's not leaking anywhere, A/C and heater work fine. I've had 1 CEL come up and it was Bank 1 too lean, but I'm almost positive that was caused from the vacuum line popping off one the front hubs when I was up in the mountains.

Could it be faulty sensor like a temp sending unit or cylinder head temp sensor or something?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:15 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

How did you 'burp' it? Sounds like air trapped in the system to me. You do not have a temp sending unit, only CHT and the PCM calculates ECT from it. When the key is turned "on" (or cycled), the PCM goes through a calibration check on the CHT, so before it is completed the air bubble may have 'moved on'. An article about diagnosing the CHT is here: http://www.searchautoparts.com/motor...ure-cht-sensor