Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Question on 04-06 spark plug problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 PM
stirring it up a little

Location: from fenton mi. currently lima ohio for school and work
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on 04-06 spark plug problem

- I have an 06 f-150 crew cab with 50k on it now and i keep hearing things about the spark plugs breaking off in the heads people having to remove the cylinder heads this and that. i am going to change mine at 60K and was wondering what the cause of the problem really is quality of the plug a flaw in the cylinder head, what kind of plugs i should use as a replacement any info would be helpful thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

From what I read in the search archives, this spark plug breakage problem only effects the 5.4 V8's, and I think from years 2004 to 2008. I also think I remember reading that Ford has an updated 1 piece plug to correct the problem from happening again, once the older style 2 piece plugs are removed.

Apparently, the plug tip threaded ends extend by a few threads past the spark plug hole. The threads get carboned up, so when you go to remove the plugs, they get stuck, and consiquently the plugs break, leaving the ceramic part and/or base still in the spark plug hole. Some folks here have mentioned loosening the plugs by a half turn or so, then applying PB Blaster or other penetrating oil, letting that try to seep into the spark plug threads in hopes this will allow the plugs to spin out easier and not break. it was also mentioned that Ford uses a special proceedure to remove the plugs, but if they break, some have been drilled out (?) or even the heads have been removed (I believe that was in the earlier days of the problem). Before I'd panic, I'd get the latest from a Ford dealer, as there now may be an updated proceedure that is better suited to remove them.

I researched this as I was preparing to change the plugs in my 4.2 V6; this engine uses "normal" plugs and is not effected.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 PM
stirring it up a little

Thanks for the info yeah i know that these motors have had the problems with it but ive always heard that it is the 2v motors that do this. i figured i just do the plugs at 60k then the shouldn't be that bad, if they break and i gotta take the head off i guess i'll just have to drive the mustang for a bit (might as well port the heads if they come off right lol) thanks for the info though i had no idea they use a 2 piece plug
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matt06xlt
Thanks for the info yeah i know that these motors have had the problems with it but ive always heard that it is the 2v motors that do this. i figured i just do the plugs at 60k then the shouldn't be that bad, if they break and i gotta take the head off i guess i'll just have to drive the mustang for a bit (might as well port the heads if they come off right lol) thanks for the info though i had no idea they use a 2 piece plug
the ford service procedure recommends backing the sparkpugs out like a 1/4 turn or so and then filling the spark plug well with Kano Kroil. Let it sit for 15 mins and then back the plug out 1/2 turn, then tighten 1/4 turn and repeat until removed.

The procedure is not exact, but you get the point. Be very gentle.

Here ya go! Watch episode 26
http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4

Last edited by kjohnson1; 09-29-2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: adding link for video
Old 09-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Inspector Man

Originally Posted by kjohnson1
the ford service procedure recommends backing the sparkpugs out like a 1/4 turn or so and then filling the spark plug well with Kano Kroil. Let it sit for 15 mins and then back the plug out 1/2 turn, then tighten 1/4 turn and repeat until removed.

The procedure is not exact, but you get the point. Be very gentle.

Here ya go! Watch episode 26
http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4
What a great link, thanks for putting that up!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:47 PM
stirring it up a little

that is a badass link wow i can't believe that the really are a three piece plug...not a good idea lol but whatever everthing has there problems, thanks for the info man really appreciate it
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Hmmmm. I tried to view it; it says the video has been removed, or the named changed.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Hmmmm. I tried to view it; it says the video has been removed, or the named changed.

I just tried it and it works. Click the link to the far right that says 'High bandwith'
Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM

factory plugs are "supposed" to last up to 100000 miles, at least that's what the dealership told me. If the plugs do break they should have a tool that removes them.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM

I just made a post about this. My truck has 38--- on the ticker and I decided to change the plugs out for the Brisk racing one piece plug. The procedure about quater turn out soak in pb blaster and let sit then they will come right out. BULL **** I currently as we speak have 4 broke off in the head right now, I had six. All of mine have left the bottom of the electrode in the head and the rest of the plug came out. Forget the Rotunda tool that ford recomends, its crap. You have to get all of the porcelin out and tap the remander of the plug for this tool to work. More chance of metal shavings in the cylinder hole. I purchase the Lisle brand tool tool do this. Part number 65600, most websites have this on national back order. I will recomend though once they break let them sit with carb cleaner or pentatrating oil on them for a day or two to break up the carbon. The Lisle tool packs the porcilen into the bottom of the plug then extracts them. If your local parts store carries Lisle give them that part number I got mine for 89 bux. IT WORKS HANDS DOWN. Take your time dont let this scare you. I got time to fool with mine since I have another car to drive but they come right out. Now granted I have removed two with this tool and still have four left to go, but if these four go as good as the first two Im in like flint. My truck is an 04 I was hella nervous about this just taking my time with it letting them soak with pb blaster. The two that did come out with no problems I sprayed a little blaster on them let them sit for about 10 minutes and the carbon wipes right off so I know its working just giving it time. Thanx for reading all this and I hope it helps. I gave you the tool number and all no big deal at all just make you nervous as hell.

BRAD

Quick Reply: Question on 04-06 spark plug problem