Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

To purge the transmission fluid:

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To purge the transmission fluid:

Last winter, I got stuck on the lake and I got myself out, but minutes later I pulled 2 trucks out and I started to smell a burnt smell from somewhere on my truck but it was windy and hard to pinpoint. Someone on the forum here insisted I change my transmission fluid since they had a similar occurance then ended blowing the tranny. SO, I decided the regular transmission oil change may not be enough in my case, so I bought enough MerconV to replace the entire 13.2L system. So, 2 days ago I did this, I dropped the tranny pan, I was amazed to see the oil was the perfect red color, and did not smell burnt at all, and was the proper texture. so I carried on by replacing the filter, cleaning the magnet in the pan, and reinstalling everything. The gasket is re-useable by the way. Dropping the pan only drains about 3L I think. Then I followed the trans cooler lines to the rad, theres an additional tranny cooler, but easier to access the lines at the main rad. there I seperated the lower line fitting from the rad only because it was easier to access. not much oil came out, but when I had the girlfriend start the truck it began to pour out. I collected it, and kept checking with a white rag, and yes, the oil was still perfectly red as it should be. so I stopped purging after a few minutes, put it back together. topped it up. (that part was fun, can't read the dipstick, have to take it for a drive between top ups) and I chalked up the burning smell to either brake lining (becuase ABS was being activated a few times during the spinning and stopping), or maybe tires burning rubber on the ice. that happens.

so yea if you need to purge all your tranny fluid, this method works, just keep adding fluid into the filler while idoling and watching for the draining oil to look CLEAN. I was told to do this by a certified mechanic. and he said the oil would be coming from the torque converter first- but I tried to confirm that in a fluid drawing in the service program but i couldn't find any verification of that. oh well it worked.

I also changed motor and transfer case oil right after that.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Not sure I would recommend your proceedure to start the engine and use the transmission pump to force all fluid out; you'd be running dry for a few seconds.

I just pay and do the flush method.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 AM

Received 1,389 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Not sure I would recommend your proceedure to start the engine and use the transmission pump to force all fluid out; you'd be running dry for a few seconds.

it never runs dry if you only pump out a quart or so at a time. this is a pretty common procedure, i also do this with my vehicles and it works great and saves me a ton of money. the ford tech from the dealership my father buys all his parts from told me about that procedure and he said there is no harm at all in doing it that way.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko

no, like I said Bucko, "just keep adding fluid into the filler while idoling".

drop the pan, clean change filter, reinstall then top up about 3L. Then seperate the tranny cooler line and while idoling, your pouring oil into the filler at the same rate as it's coming out. IT doesn't have to be EXACTLY the same rate, just don't let it run dry. nothing will go wrong, and you'll save hundreds of dollars on a flush.

Quick Reply: To purge the transmission fluid: