Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

purchased programmer second hand

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchased programmer second hand

I just purchased second hand a Banks Ottomind programmer for my 06' 5.4. I go to install one of the performance options and it says "This tool is not licensed for this vehicle". Looking for anyone to confirm my suspicions that they can only work for one truck? Is there a fix for it?
Banks and their phenomenal customer service hasn't gotten back to me. If I had known about their customer service earlier I wouldn't have purchased their product.
It was kind of a split second decision to purchase and I didn't really have an opportunity to research anything before hand.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 PM

it was not set back to stock settings when it was taken out of the last vehicle, so it is looking for the computer of the other truck. Thats how it works with Edge programmers anyway.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep..sounds like you bought yourself a paperweight...you must always ensure a used programmer is returned to stock before buying it...Some guy is nowing running his truck with a tune in it, and has your money. Hopefully Banks can unlock it for you so you can use it...If you know the guy that sold it to you, take it back and return his truck to stock so you can use it..Good luck.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 PM

Awesome guys! thanks for the info.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 PM

So, got the program out of the original truck and was able to put it into mine without incident. There's a noticeable difference, but I would have been disappointed if I paid full price for the thing. Combined with Bank's poor customer service, I wouldn't recommend their product to anyone.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup, tuner is locked. You can send it back to banks and they will unlock it for you, for a hefty fee. It happens all the time in the mustang world. People either unknowingly or internationally sell a locked programmer and the new user is stuck paying 250-300 bucks to get it unlocked.

Glad you got it reflashed. I would be livid if something like that happened to me. luckily I tuned my car myself so I didnt need to use a handheld programmer.

Quick Reply: purchased programmer second hand