Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer

I have a hypertech programmer and i was just wandering do you guys think i can run my programmer on premium fuel but use E85?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it and listen for detonation. If you hear it this could happen:
When unburned fuel/air mixture beyond the boundary of the flame front is subjected to a combination of heat and pressure for a certain duration (beyond the delay period of the fuel used), detonation may occur. Detonation is characterized by an instantaneous, explosive ignition of at least one pocket of fuel/air mixture outside of the flame front. A local shockwave is created around each pocket and the cylinder pressure may rise sharply beyond its design limits.
If detonation is allowed to persist under extreme conditions or over many engine cycles, engine parts can be damaged or destroyed. The simplest deleterious effects are typically particle wear caused by moderate knocking, which may further ensue through the engine's oil system and cause wear on other parts before being trapped by the oil filter. Severe knocking can lead to catastrophic failure in the form of physical holes punched through the piston or Cylinder head (i.e., rupture of the combustion chamber), either of which depressurizes the affected cylinder and introduces large metal fragments, fuel, and combustion products into the oil system.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hypertech Programmer

Originally Posted by Drop Tine
I have a hypertech programmer and i was just wandering do you guys think i can run my programmer on premium fuel but use E85?
When running the E-85 fuel you need to run the tune for regular 87 octane fuel.

Quick Reply: Programmer