Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Preventative maintenance for cam phasers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preventative maintenance for cam phasers?

Hi, new here. First post and all.

I picked up an 05 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 in it just two days ago. It has 91k miles on it. Now, I know that the cam phasers are a common problem in the 05-08s, but it hasn't seemed to be a problem in this truck yet. Is there any kind of PREVENTATIVE maintenance that I can do to assure that I don't have any problems down the line? The previous owner has run full synthetic 5w-20 since the first oil change at 3k miles (with receipts to prove it). He followed the owners manual to the T, though I'm not sure what really makes these motors have issues.

If there's any thing I can do to prevent this from happening, please let me know. I've searched and mostly found threads on how to FIX the problem, but not how to prevent it.

Thanks! Oh and here are some pics next to my supercharged 96 Mystic Cobra!

EDIT: Also, if you've got any suggestions for future mods, I'm open to them. I want a bull bar with fog lights and a 2.5'' autospring leveling kit in the near future. Different tires for sure, but these are brand new with a 70k mile warranty, so I can't just replace them. Though I do want some all terrains.

Last edited by Synyster06Gates; 01-18-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

To prevent the cam phaser tick that is inevitable on 5.4 3v motors you could start buy swapping out your VCT solenoids with the revised versions. The new solenoids have a smaller drain port then the originals which helps the oil pressure feeding the advance and retard of the phaser from dropping too quickly...
You can also change the oil from 5w-20 to 5w-30 or even a 5w-40 to also silence noisy phaser operation...

This a link to thread I have explaining both... There are PDFs showing how the system works within the thread as well
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/5w-30-o...d-idea-130457/

For mods, a lot of us run a tuner like an edge or SCT to unlock some hidden power that the stock tune just does not offer.. After a few mods like headers, a CAI, or a full exhaust replacement, a custom written tune will be required to avoid running lean... Custom tunes are the best way to go over canned tunes either way.

For visual mods, a leveling kit, bigger tires, Harley style headlights, a new grill, and new wheels are pretty standard places to start..

Also.... Welcome to the forum buddy! And congrats on your new purchase! Your truck looks mint!

Last edited by Especial86; 01-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Synyster06Gates (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Especial86
To prevent the cam phaser tick that is inevitable on 5.4 3v motors you could start buy swapping out your VCT solenoids with the revised versions. The new solenoids have a smaller drain port then the originals which helps the oil pressure feeding the advance and retard of the phaser from dropping too quickly...
You can also change the oil from 5w-20 to 5w-30 or even a 5w-40 to also silence noisy phaser operation...

This a link to thread I have explaining both... There are PDFs showing how the system works within the thread as well
https://www.f150forum.com/esp_search...v-bar&type=all

For mods, a lot of us run a tuner like an edge or SCT to unlock some hidden power that the stock tune just does not offer.. After a few mods like headers, a CAI, or a full exhaust replacement, a custom written tune will be required to avoid running lean... Custom tunes are the best way to go over canned tunes either way.

For visual mods, a leveling kit, bigger tires, Harley style headlights, a new grill, and new wheels are pretty standard places to start..

Also.... Welcome to the forum buddy! And congrats on your new purchase! Your truck looks mint!
Awesome. I've got an SCT X3 laying around after my last 2 Mustang Cobras, so I'll be good on the tune!

Previous owner took really good care of the truck, I'm happy with it thus far. Thanks for the links!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I have gone through the cam phaserissue first-hand. I had to replace my entire engine ($7000 dollar job). I talked to the service manager many times and got more information about this topic than I ever would have imagined. He told me the best way to prevent thisissue is to run motorcraft 5w-20 and change it every 3000 to 5000 miles. Nomore, no less. (I believe this guy, he's worked on almost every truck ford has ever made.) He believes the issue stems from people waiting to long for oil changes, and switching between different brands of oil. Like motorcraft,pennzoil to mobil. Motorcraft is great oil and is pretty cheap.
My uncle alsoworks as a diesel mechanic for my states department of transportation and has been a die-hard FORD enthusiast his whole life. He also believes the problem stems from mix-matched oils and delayed oil changes. If the previous owner bought the truck new and ran that oil from the time he bought it, I would stick with that oil for the life of the truck. If he only had it for a semi-short duration of time, I would go back to motorcraft 5w-20. Possibly consider using a top-shelf additive such as BG MOAevery oil change.

Also the VCT swap is a very good idea. I would do that as soon as you have the extra time and money. Also consider going over the whole truck. Spark Plugs, Coils, Check the FPDM above the spare tires, Check the air filter and replace the foam filter on the box, change the differential oil, clean the throttle body and the MAF, and change the fuel filter if any of the above is not done. It will last you a long time!

Congrats on the new truck man, it looks great. As far as mods, I would get a custom tune as especial86 said. Best purchase I have made.

Last edited by NEPA11; 01-18-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed with above, you're doing the preventive stuff already, which is following the book to a "T". It cracks me up when I read things on here saying to do things otherwise, when, to each his own, but I see that as saying you know more than the engineers who designed the truck, engine included.

If it has had 5w-20 Motorcraft in it all its' life, with no problems, then why fix what isn't broken? Stick with what is working. You'll read on here all kinds of jazz on using additives, diesel grade oil, all kinds of stuff.....ignore it. Mine has over 100k on all original engine parts, with 5w-20 oil. These engines are designed for thinner oil because they operate on oil pressure in the heads.

Fixing problems that aren't there only causes problems to arise.

But most of all, good luck with your new truck!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by NEPA11
Welcome to the forum. I have gone through the cam phaserissue first-hand. I had to replace my entire engine ($7000 dollar job). I talked to the service manager many times and got more information about this topic than I ever would have imagined. He told me the best way to prevent thisissue is to run motorcraft 5w-20 and change it every 3000 to 5000 miles. Nomore, no less. (I believe this guy, he's worked on almost every truck ford has ever made.) He believes the issue stems from people waiting to long for oil changes, and switching between different brands of oil. Like motorcraft,pennzoil to mobil. Motorcraft is great oil and is pretty cheap.
My uncle alsoworks as a diesel mechanic for my states department of transportation and has been a die-hard FORD enthusiast his whole life. He also believes the problem stems from mix-matched oils and delayed oil changes. If the previous owner bought the truck new and ran that oil from the time he bought it, I would stick with that oil for the life of the truck. If he only had it for a semi-short duration of time, I would go back to motorcraft 5w-20. Possibly consider using a top-shelf additive such as BG MOAevery oil change.

Also the VCT swap is a very good idea. I would do that as soon as you have the extra time and money. Also consider going over the whole truck. Spark Plugs, Coils, Check the FPDM above the spare tires, Check the air filter and replace the foam filter on the box, change the differential oil, clean the throttle body and the MAF, and change the fuel filter if any of the above is not done. It will last you a long time!

Congrats on the new truck man, it looks great. As far as mods, I would get a custom tune as especial86 said. Best purchase I have made.
Yeah, he's been using full synthetic 5w-20 the whole time he's had it, since 05. I considered going to 5w-30 synthetic. He changed front and rear diff fluid less than 4 months ago, changed fuel filter and air filter at the same time.

Spark plugs are what scare me on this truck.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not to bad, buy 8 new SP-515 Plugs, a Liesle removal tool, some dielectric grease, some anti-seize, and pb blaster and go to town. Buy either motorcraft coils or a coil with a lifetime warranty from a local auto parts store (advanced, napa, autozone). Just torque to factory specs and you will be fine. There is advice on how to do it on here that you can use that is helpful.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/5w-30-o...d-idea-130457/

Like he said I have been running 5w-30 with 1qt LUCAS Fully Synthetic and I i hear is injector tick quiet! I do wanna look into the VCT solenoids where did you get them from Especial86?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by schm

Like he said I have been running 5w-30 with 1qt LUCAS Fully Synthetic and I i hear is injector tick quiet! I do wanna look into the VCT solenoids where did you get them from Especial86?
I got mine from my local dealer. But I would strongly advise you shop around. I payed $140 or something like that for 1. Others members on here have bought 2 for 85 from their dealer. I admit that I got hosed on the price of my single solenoid. So I guess you should be able to find them for 40 to 55 dollars piece. Most ford dealers have the solenoids and the seals in stock...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

I just replaced my 2 VCT. Made a world of difference. Mine is 81k clean as hell and only saw Penzoil Yellow at 3k changes and now MotorCraft 5-20 at 4-5k changes.

Just keep at that and remember even the fuel Inj are noisy on out trucks.

Quick Reply: Preventative maintenance for cam phasers?