Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Preemptive Strike - New Injectors Installed (pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Preemptive Strike - New Injectors Installed (pics!)

I posted this on the "other" forum but thought the guys here might be interested in tackling this:
By now most '05 owners (and some '04s) are aware of the fuel injector issue. If you havent gotten your letter, see this:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ti...call_07M08.pdf

To help prevent getting bit by this bug, I decided to replace my injectors on my own. I got my new ones on Saturday and got them installed in my '05 on Monday. The total job took about 90mins or so, but most of that time was spent prepping and removing harnesses.

All in all, one of the easiest jobs to tackle as long as you dont mind the smell of fuel. I had a couple of tough to remove harnesses but that's about it. I am so glad to get this job done. With all the recent posts of hydrolocked motors, I am hopeful that I avoided major downtime or being stranded going forward.

Here are some tips: Be sure the engine compartment is clean or you risk dirt falling into the injector openings. I used brake cleaner and compressed air and although I thought I did a good job, there was still a lot of dirt on the injectors. Get yourself a lot of rags as there WILL be fuel spillage, and use rubber gloves. Finally, get yourself an extendable magnetic reach tool as the injector clips can be tough to handle especially if you're wearing gloves.

Finally the new injectors:
I bought them from RockAuto.com for ~$23.00@. They're the most updated replacements: MotorCraft 5C3Z-9F593-DC however when I looked at them, they were stamped 5C3E-DC. The old injectors are 5C3E-DB.

Now on to the pics:

Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks for this information. Very helpful to know
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

thank you. i may do this soon as well.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck started running weird lately, I really really hope I get this letter so I can take it to my cousin who works at a Ford dealership
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 PM

Was the letter a TSB or recall? Does it only apply to 04-05 model years?

Post a scan copy of the letter if you don't mind.

Thanks for the info by the way : )
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I went to start my truck one day and it wouldnt turn over, messed around a little bit and finally got it to start but it was ticking like crazy and i noticed gas was coming out my exhaust. Popped on the web and started looking up sytoms to narrow down the problem and came across that letter. I just took it down to the local dealership and had metioned it to them and the honored it and they said the engine was past repair and they dropped a refurbrished block with all new internals in. whole process took about a month but it was worth the wait.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The extended warranty on injectors was for the 05 only. Do a search and the letter will turn up.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 4GreenFords
Was the letter a TSB or recall? Does it only apply to 04-05 model years?

Post a scan copy of the letter if you don't mind.

Thanks for the info by the way : )
A link to the letter from Ford is in my first post. As stated, the extended warranty is for '05's only, however I believe some '04s were affected. This is NOT a recall, so you cannot go to Ford and have them replace your injectors free of charge. They WILL replace a bad injector and any related damage and in some cases related costs (tow charges, rentals, etc).

But here's the deal: If your injector goes bad, it goes bad in the OPEN position which could eventually result in a hydrolocked condition (worst case) at which point you will need a short block swap (covered by warranty). If there is no motor damage, the warranty will replace the bad injector ONLY, leaving the other 7 untouched. For me, I cannot afford to be stuck on the side of the road, or without my truck for an extended period so I just replaced all the injectors for just about $200 and did the labor myself.

Update: The injectors have been installed for about a week now and the truck drives like a dream! There were no obvious signs of injector issues, although I would have an occasional hard start. On the 2nd crank-over, the engine would start but sound like it had been flooded. Although it's only been a week, the truck sounds SO much quieter (I can still hear my cam phasers though!), but I never realized how noisy the old injectors were. The truck idles great and just feels so much better than with the old injectors. This was a very pleasant surprise.

Contact Tasca or Rockauto.com for the injectors (in the first post). Oh and be sure to keep your old injectors. If Ford does offer something down the road in the way of a recall, or what have you, you can always reinstall them (test them first) and drive it down to Ford to take advantage. Testing injectors is a whole other thread...you may want to search YouTube for vids on testing.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by StoveTop
A link to the letter from Ford is in my first post. As stated, the extended warranty is for '05's only, however I believe some '04s were affected. This is NOT a recall, so you cannot go to Ford and have them replace your injectors free of charge. They WILL replace a bad injector and any related damage and in some cases related costs (tow charges, rentals, etc).

But here's the deal: If your injector goes bad, it goes bad in the OPEN position which could eventually result in a hydrolocked condition (worst case) at which point you will need a short block swap (covered by warranty). If there is no motor damage, the warranty will replace the bad injector ONLY, leaving the other 7 untouched. For me, I cannot afford to be stuck on the side of the road, or without my truck for an extended period so I just replaced all the injectors for just about $200 and did the labor myself.

Update: The injectors have been installed for about a week now and the truck drives like a dream! There were no obvious signs of injector issues, although I would have an occasional hard start. On the 2nd crank-over, the engine would start but sound like it had been flooded. Although it's only been a week, the truck sounds SO much quieter (I can still hear my cam phasers though!), but I never realized how noisy the old injectors were. The truck idles great and just feels so much better than with the old injectors. This was a very pleasant surprise.

Contact Tasca or Rockauto.com for the injectors (in the first post). Oh and be sure to keep your old injectors. If Ford does offer something down the road in the way of a recall, or what have you, you can always reinstall them (test them first) and drive it down to Ford to take advantage. Testing injectors is a whole other thread...you may want to search YouTube for vids on testing.

so new injectors are quieter?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have an '08 and i hate how loud the oem are!!!! any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know as well as I'm looking to replace my injectors, but up here in Canada, there about $74 dollars a piece! MAIL ORDER TIME!!!

Quick Reply: Preemptive Strike - New Injectors Installed (pics!)