Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS and Sirius???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

Default Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS and Sirius???

I recently purchased this head unit in the classified section. I want to make sure I have everything ready to go. My big question is regarding the connection to Sirius. My factory stereo has it and always has. Will I be able to plug and play with the Sirius equipment that came stock on the truck or will I have to buy the SVX-200 piece and get a new subscription to Sirius? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

From what it looks like you will need the adapter but can use the factory antenna.

So bitter sweet is dont have to run a new antenna and keep the factory one in place so dont have 2 up there. But still have to buy the adapter. Only thing is need to pop the harness off from around the factory sat radio antenna end so it plugs into the pioneers adapter. Then the adapter has whole different plug end that goes into your radio.

I too was curious about this and poked around a bit to check on this. The sat radio antennas appear to all be the same, just cars have there own specific harness to plug into the factory radios, with the same antenna ends hiding inside it.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 AM
12 Second Truck

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Thanks.

Amazon.com to the rescue.
Ordered the SXV-200v1 for the Sirius XM radio.
I ordered a pair of Pioneer TS-A6995R 6" x 9" 5-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers. I already have a pair of these in the truck in the front. I've had them for 3 years or so. Great speakers. Will probably rotate them to the back and place the new ones up front.

In addition I went ahead and bought Monster XPMS-50 speaker cable. I will run this from the head unit to all four speakers replacing the factory wiring.

And of course the parking brake override for the dvd.

Combined with my 10" Kicker sub powered by a 250watt amp this should be a great sounding system.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

I've just ordered that exact same deck along with the SiriusXM SXV200V1 as well. I currently have the AVH-P3300BT and the GEX-P920XM (apparently won't work on the newer decks). I get my new one on Monday . The only difference I know with the SXV200V1 is that you can receive 20 more channels but I doubt the antenna would affect that... probably just a wider frequency range.

My Fusion has a Sirius antenna... When I switch the AVH-P3300BT over, I'll try to use the factory antenna so it looks better. I'm not sure (as my F150 doesn't have Sirius factory) if there's much difference on the Sirius antenna. As far as I know, it's only like a 20mhz difference in frequency so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work either without an adapter. I had my deck out of my Fusion not long ago but I can't recall what the connector looked like. I'll post back here though if I do try it before you get yours and let you know.

All in all, I had both Sirius and XM and up here in Canada I've found Sirius to have a better signal than XM. Not enough to complain about though.

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-12-2014, 07:57 PM
12 Second Truck

Good news. The factory Sirius Sat antenna will plug right in to the Sirius AVX 200 adapter. All i had to do was unplug it from the factory piece and detach the factory plug end (yellow/white piece laying on top) and it plugged right in. No problem. Turned the stereo on and had service instantly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blown Ford:
06Beast (01-13-2014), homer (01-13-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 PM
Just Creepin

Originally Posted by Blown Ford
In addition I went ahead and bought Monster XPMS-50 speaker cable. I will run this from the head unit to all four speakers replacing the factory wiring.
Dunno if it's too late, but this isn't worth doing. Without an amp, only pushing like 25 watts to each speaker. Most speakers are 10-50 watts rms, and good few others are up to 75watts with some up at 100 watts. F150's have 18 gauge speaker wire which will be fine to ~120 watts. Still function after that but can risk over heating the amp because of the resistance it's trying to push to that many watts through.

First car I had, I had ran 12 gauge wire to each speaker straight from the amp (back in 2003). The time followed by browsing car audio forums taught me it's not as worth it as you'd hope. Read: it wont do anything since wattage being push isn't high enough to need larger wire. Saw one guy mention here he only had .41db loss with factory wiring at 100 watts. Unless the wire is laying around and someone is REALLY bored, stick with factory wiring.

Good to hear the stock antenna works for certain now. You didn't have to bother changing your subscription info to a new player? Always thought he number was tied to the radio, not the antenna but that was just my assumption.

Last edited by TheJcode; 01-12-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

That's great to know! I didn't hook it up on my fusion yet because my Sirius module is in the back of the car and I didn't want to pull the seats up yet (it's cold out). I threw up the magnetic antenna for now but I'll likely be doing the same.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 PM
12 Second Truck

I ended up not running the new speaker wire. Used the factory wires. Didn't have to do anything regarding the Sirius. Just plugged the trucks stock antenna in and turned the radio on. Very pleased with the unit. Here's some pics. This first one shows the microphone fitting perfectly where the mp3 jack use to be.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Just Creepin

Originally Posted by homer
That's great to know! I didn't hook it up on my fusion yet because my Sirius module is in the back of the car and I didn't want to pull the seats up yet (it's cold out). I threw up the magnetic antenna for now but I'll likely be doing the same.
It works leaving it on the dash too if it helps.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Just Creepin

Originally Posted by Blown Ford
This first one shows the microphone fitting perfectly where the mp3 jack use to be.
Thats a neat idea!

How does the factory auxiliary chord connect to the radio? Some goofy oem harness or is it a male mp3 style into the back.

Was debating reusing that aux report but the microphone there is a nice idea.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS and Sirius???