Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Persistent Issues on my 2004 Ford F150 4.6 V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Persistent Issues on my 2004 Ford F150 4.6 V8

Persistent Issues on my 2004 Ford F150 4.6 V8
I'm reaching out to the community because I've been dealing with some perplexing issues with my 2004 Ford F150 4.6 V8, and despite my efforts, I haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause. I'm hoping some of you might have insights or suggestions that could help me get to the bottom of this.

About three months ago, my truck started randomly shutting off when I came to a stop. My initial troubleshooting led me to change the fuel filter, but unfortunately, that didn't resolve the issue. As I dug deeper, I discovered an EGR code, prompting me to perform an EGR delete. Surprisingly, the truck ran fine for about two weeks, but then a new set of problems emerged.

It began to sputter and misfire, exhibiting a lack of power and acceleration. After reaching 20mph, the truck seemed to stabilize, but it started shaking and running rough when coming to a stop or taking off. In an attempt to address the issue, I replaced the spark plugs and coils and installed a new fuel pressure sensor. However, these changes didn't yield any improvement.

In a somewhat desperate move, I decided to gut my catalytic converters. Strangely, immediately after doing this, the truck ran even worse than before. But, after a day or two, it miraculously went back to normal. Currently, the truck runs fine when driving, but occasionally, when coming to a stop and taking off, it experiences a sudden loss of power and acceleration, only to kick back and run fine again.

I've exhausted my current knowledge and resources, and I'm turning to this forum in the hopes that someone may have experienced similar issues or could offer some guidance on what steps to take next. Any suggestions, insights, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:38 PM

Received 837 Likes on 740 Posts

FPDM condition?
crank position sensor and it's wiring.

Those are the 2 first things I would check out were I in your shoes.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:23 AM

Received 476 Likes on 406 Posts

New converters
Check the codes
Check the fuel pressure

Quick Reply: Persistent Issues on my 2004 Ford F150 4.6 V8