Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Painting Wheels Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Painting Wheels Chrome?

Ok I have a new idea scheming in my head again lol. My factory wheels are trashed and I really want chrome wheels. Until I can afford to get the wheels I want, has anyone painted their factory wheels chrome? Is it possible???

This is what I have:

This is what I want to achieve:

I would use Duplicolor Instant Chrome:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duplicolor-CS101-Instant-Chrome-Spray-11-Oz-Aerosol-/140955024203?hash=item20d192fb4b&item=140955024203&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
With this as a protective clear coat:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dupli-Color-Paint-Wheel-Acrylic-Enamel-Gloss-Clear-12-oz-Aerosol-Ea-HWP103-/390827624311?hash=item5aff244777&item=390827624311&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
Or would I be better off with something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dupli-Color-Hyper-Silver-Wheel-Coating-HSK100-/191143909454?hash=item2c8110984e&item=191143909454&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
Well does anyone have any input?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I have never seen chrome paint not look cheap, although maybe i just haven't noticed the good ones because they are so good? I think if your factory wheels are in rough shape, you're only going to highlight the imperfections with anything that is high gloss or chrome and i "think" that might be why people go with plasti-dip and generally flat colors because they are so forgiving. duplicolor seems like pretty high quality spray paint and i've personally had near paint booth quality from spray paint with proper prep, but it takes time.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
I have never seen chrome paint not look cheap, although maybe i just haven't noticed the good ones because they are so good? I think if your factory wheels are in rough shape, you're only going to highlight the imperfections with anything that is high gloss or chrome and i "think" that might be why people go with plasti-dip and generally flat colors because they are so forgiving. duplicolor seems like pretty high quality spray paint and i've personally had near paint booth quality from spray paint with proper prep, but it takes time.
I agree. I have a bit of painting experience, good results can come from a rattle can with proper prep. Rattle can clear will wet sand and buff to a mirror finish same as what comes out of a spray gun. However, I have yet to see a chrome paint that actually looks like chrome plating.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw
I agree. I have a bit of painting experience, good results can come from a rattle can with proper prep. Rattle can clear will wet sand and buff to a mirror finish same as what comes out of a spray gun. However, I have yet to see a chrome paint that actually looks like chrome plating.
Thanks for the input guys! I am going to agree with both of you as I have yet to know of anyone spray painting something and it turning out like chrome plating... As far as the imperfections, its mostly scuffs here and there and clear coat pealing. The wheels I would like are $750 and with me heading back to college to finish my degree, I don't think that would be wise lol. I may attempt this.... I have to think about it some more haha.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Wow, can't believe I'm hearing this. Someone actually doesn't want to cover everything up with black plasti dip. And to top it off, they actually want chrome?
I'm a big hater of the blacked out truck fad, so I give you credit for keeping your truck clean with just enough chrome accents. But like said above, that chrome spray paint just never comes out right. Not saying you can't try it, it's your truck so knock yourself out.
The following users liked this post:
stringer (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am not a huge fan of blacking everything out, I love the look of a set of nicely polished chrome rims on a sunny day! I don't like too much chrome unless it's on a Harley or big rig.

Let us know how it turns out!
stringer (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by redbond1
I too am not a huge fan of blacking everything out, I love the look of a set of nicely polished chrome rims on a sunny day! I don't like too much chrome unless it's on a Harley or big rig.

Let us know how it turns out!
Chrome is for old Harley riders who still wear white tube socks and acid wash jeans. LOL
Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 AM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I would give it a shot, but first try it on a scrap piece of metal of you have one. Try prepping that one like you think your wheels should be prepped and see how it comes out...before going all-in on your wheels.

As far as the chrome goes, I see both sides. While I'm not huge on chrome, it fits your truck pretty well, while others it sticks out like a sore thumb.

At least you aren't plasti-dipping it flat black - I have seen far too many classy Lariats with cheap-looking matte black dipped wheels.
stringer (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

if you just want to make them look better and you hate flat black. I would go with something like a gun metal/darker silver. it would be more forgiving then a chrome paint and i've actually seen people rattle can that color and it comes out good. I know that's not the color you're looking for but do you want a rim that looks like it was painted with chrome spray paint or a rim that looks in good condition and possibly a factory option? just a thought, if you're gonna replace them anyways down the road and the chrome looks terrible, who cares right?
stringer (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

I've never seen chrome paint look good, either. But guess it doesn't hurt to try on a scrap piece of metal.

Personally, I'd just freshen up with silver and wet sand then clear. Then you can use the stock rims as winter wheels if you are in a winter climate. Aftermarket chrome does not like salt (not that any wheel really does...)
stringer (04-30-2014)

Quick Reply: Painting Wheels Chrome?