Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

P2106 Please Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question P2106 Please Help!!!!

About a month ago I my check engine light came on and I had a code P2106 throttle actuator control reduced limited power, read a few things online and a few people on here suggested replacing the throttle body to fix the problem, and today I finally got around to replacing it. After I replaced it drove it around for about 10 mins and the check engine light came back on with the same code as before P2106. So my question is does anyone know what I should check next or test or replace, this is really starting to get me aggravated.

Also i don't know if this is relevant or not but my ABS light comes on with this code, and I would like to thank anyone in advance for there help.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It probably needs a reflash to match the PCM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There may be another code that is causing the 2106. 2106 is an informational code only stating that it is running in a failure mode due to some other problem in the TAC system.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

This is the problem with performing "quick fixes" on trouble codes. As stated, a trouble code points to a problem in the drivetrain, and it can be several items that cause the trouble code to be set. Tossing parts (as you now know) is expensive. Eventually you get it repaired, but at the cost of throwing costly parts at it.

Check this link that describes the fault code, and the MULTIPLE causes...:

http://foxed.ca/rx7manual/2003mazdar...202100W02.html

Now the trick is to obtain the equipment (and knowledge base) to test each possible cause; this is where shops and good ASE certified mechanics come into play. They are good at eliminating each cause by testing, getting to the root. They paid for their extensive education to get to this level.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-04-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM

Well I borrowed a scanner from my friend that could read abs codes and it turned out that my rear wheel abs sensor was bad, got one from ford for $61 put it in and the trucks running great now.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Keep foot in the oilpan.

Thumbs up P2106 - some possible solutions for y'all

Hello

P2106 is the indication that it's in limp mode and doesn't neccessarily mean the throttle body is bad. By the way, I think the throttle body assembly including TPS and TACM are the same 'fly by wire' for 2004 to 2009 F150's

For my 2004 F150, the fuel pump control module (located above the spare tire) was corroded beyond recognition and dangling by the wiring. This is a common problem. Also, If you use one of those aftermarket filters that use oil on them, the Throttle body is probably dirty and your Mass Air Flow sensor is probably dirty. You can buy cleaner in a spray can for the sensor. Take the throttle body off to clean it, don't waste time andf money with spray cleaners.

The wiring harness plugs located below the driver's side floor on the outside of the frame on my truck were corroded sitting in a clump of sand and salt in the plastic shield (bad design). This gives you all sorts of error codes.

The ABS light is usually a bad wheel speed sensor wire on the fronts or a bad speed sensor on the rear differential. Far as I know, the ABS won't trigger the P2106 'limp mode' aka 'safe mode'

There are (2) upstream and (2) downstream O2 sensors with heater elements. One of them can be fried, giving bad readings or blowing a fuse. They are all the same but ford gives a different part number because of wire length.

The P2106 should be called self destruct mode because it causes the motor to over-fuel which will lead to a destroyed catalitic convertor and fouled O2 sensors if you run it too long at 2x the fuel consumption. What about yer pistons and cylinders?

Bring it to your dealer for a diagnosis only (about $200) and find out what parts you need.

Good luck and don't get frustrated!

Quick Reply: P2106 Please Help!!!!