Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

P0011 after phaser

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0011 after phaser

Hello. With a lot of help from here I did a phaser and tensioners on an 06 5.4 about three weeks ago. The truck has been running great. Dead quiet, smooth as silk. On my way home today I got a CEL. I stopped at auto zone and it had 1code P0111. Ran great till I got home I checked all the connections, all were tight. Cleared the codes and the CEL went out and still runs great. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Which DTC was it ? 0011 or 0111
Old 10-22-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Sorry

Code was P0011
Old 10-22-2017, 09:57 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Codes are never _good_, and they are especially disconcerting after a major repair. More so when the code relates to the work done.

But sometimes there can be simple explanations and fixes. Timing codes are 'sticky'. If the condition is sufficient to set a Code - and then goes away, the CEL will STILL remain on for at least two and maybe more drive cycles. (You cleared it right away - so lost benefit of knowing if the condition cleared).

It is enlightening to consider the ABSOLUTE cause of timing codes. (If the CAM's actual position is greater than 5 camshaft degrees off FROM the position commanded by the PCM, for more than 5 seconds --- BINGO, code set.

Five degrees is not very much, and five seconds is not very long.

Consider physical ways a cam can be 'over advanced'. The 5.4 does not employ cam advance - only 'Retard'. So 'over advanced' can only mean the cam is failing to retard adequately when retard is commanded. The VCT solenoid must 'open' to route oil flow/pressure into the 'retard' chambers of the Phasers when retard is commanded. "IF" the solenoid failed to open _TIMELY_ ,or is sticky, (or if the screen is clogged with debris), (or oil pressure is inadequate to physically move the phaser toward retard), the phaser would remain in its current position. Thus - would be over advanced with respect to the PCM's commanded positioning. In that event, after five seconds a P0011 or P0012 code would be tripped as appropriate.

You did not mention all parts replaced with your timing job. Were Solenoids replaced? If not - consider it. EVEN if so, consider swapping the one on bank 1 or at least remove it and make sure it actuates freely and the screens are clean.
No mention - I assume you replaced chains. Did you have broken guides or replace guides? Did you remove Oil Pan and remove debris from pickup screen?

These are the type things that _CAN_ result in P0011, either before OR after a timing job.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:21 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Torqued
Codes are never _good_, and they are especially disconcerting after a major repair. More so when the code relates to the work done.

But sometimes there can be simple explanations and fixes. Timing codes are 'sticky'. If the condition is sufficient to set a Code - and then goes away, the CEL will STILL remain on for at least two and maybe more drive cycles. (You cleared it right away - so lost benefit of knowing if the condition cleared).

It is enlightening to consider the ABSOLUTE cause of timing codes. (If the CAM's actual position is greater than 5 camshaft degrees off FROM the position commanded by the PCM, for more than 5 seconds --- BINGO, code set.

Five degrees is not very much, and five seconds is not very long.

Consider physical ways a cam can be 'over advanced'. The 5.4 does not employ cam advance - only 'Retard'. So 'over advanced' can only mean the cam is failing to retard adequately when retard is commanded. The VCT solenoid must 'open' to route oil flow/pressure into the 'retard' chambers of the Phasers when retard is commanded. "IF" the solenoid failed to open _TIMELY_ ,or is sticky, (or if the screen is clogged with debris), (or oil pressure is inadequate to physically move the phaser toward retard), the phaser would remain in its current position. Thus - would be over advanced with respect to the PCM's commanded positioning. In that event, after five seconds a P0011 or P0012 code would be tripped as appropriate.

You did not mention all parts replaced with your timing job. Were Solenoids replaced? If not - consider it. EVEN if so, consider swapping the one on bank 1 or at least remove it and make sure it actuates freely and the screens are clean.
No mention - I assume you replaced chains. Did you have broken guides or replace guides? Did you remove Oil Pan and remove debris from pickup screen?

These are the type things that _CAN_ result in P0011, either before OR after a timing job.
Absolutely awesome explanation as usual!
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 06:09 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Yep ! well stated torqued.
F150Torqued (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you so much. I had just got the truck. It started with ticking noises and I thought it was a chain tensioner. When I pulled the covers I found a broken spring on the l/s (passenger) phaser. Chains and guides looked almost new and everything was clean as a whistle. I guess I will wait for it to happen again m, not clear it and report back

thanks again.
F150Torqued (10-23-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:38 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default I would be ready to replace both VCT's

If original that would be a good thing .Mean while run some marvel m oil as a slow cleaner . An oil pressure check may be a good thing to look at but most of all the oil pickup screen should be cleaned ,who knows if it has broken guide pieces lodged in it .
Dropping the oil pan is a good diagnostic .
Sounds like this engine had a timing job already but how far did they go and did they use oem parts . Hope they did not use dorman phasors .Consider using old style tensioners that are metal ratcheting with no seals to blow if you have to go back in .
Sounds like an oil flow problem to me .
Old 10-24-2017, 06:43 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks. I can’t tell if the guides or chains are OEM but the phasers were Dorman. It has been.a few days now, not many miles but the CEL has not come back on. I was thinking VCTs were next.

Thanks again