Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

OK...Whats the real story?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 PM
FORD...is there another?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK...Whats the real story?

So first, I was talking with my local 4x4 shop today about the mods I am going to do and when we discussed the K&N Air System, he tried to talk me out of it??? He said that he had it on his and it was toooo loud and that it made his F150 sound like the old 4 bangers. Now, I do not mind the additional noise from greater air flow, but what does it really sound like? Is it that bad? Feedback please. I dont want to spend the money if it is an annoyance.

Second, we were discussing the Superchips Programmer and he said he removed this from his F150 as well because he said that it did nothing for the truck. He said that if it was a diesel he would push me to put it in, but with gas engines, he said that it would not really make a difference in anything. Can someone please give me thought on both of these issues. I plan to make some mods the week after Christmas but need to solidify the plans asap so that I can get my truck in and back before I leave town.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Tort Feasor

I got the K&N 77 series and I think it sounds pretty nice. I can't hear any difference over stock just cruising around or driving down the highway, but when you get on it, it lets you know you're gettin on it. With my Magnaflow cat-back setup, my truck sounds exactly like I want, when I want.
Can't comment on the programmer, though. That's my next mod.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the programmer makes enough difference i have an edge but does help. I know cai isnt much of a difference
Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 PM
2004 lifted FX4

the edge is the way to go for a gas programmer! I have an airaid CAI but looking back would rather have had the K&N. Everyone is different, there are a lot of people who hate the sound of my magnaflow cat back and the sound of the magnacharger on my Mustang. I say go for it. I would like to point you to the Edge Products piece for programming.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I've had a K&N CAI kit on my 4.2 V6 for two years now. It is not loud. It's a great kit.

Check out their web site and be sure to read their "frequently asked questions" section. They back their product 100%.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 PM
In a VAN! Down by RIVER!

Loud sound = performance.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Real deal

Loud inside the cab= louder tunes
Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Got 'em both

Funny, I have the K&N FIPK for my 5.4 and it definitely helped with response and power in the mid-upper 3000s. Not sure about the rest of the time though and it is loud when I get on it but the rest of the time there is almost no difference in sound IMO.

I also have the Superchips flashpaq but I rarely run in the "performance" tune mode. In the regular 87 octane mode I get tighter shifts for sure but have had it for so long that I don't really recall what, if any, improvement in power I have. I am sure there is some, and if I ran "performance" more often maybe I would feel different...
Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a k and N for a week and had an opportunity to make my money back a week later and I took it. I couldn't tell a difference in performance and at the time I had my stock exhaust so not much on sound either. I run the Gotts mod and I think it is close to a CAI. And my edge evolution made a big difference.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:39 AM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

I had a Roush CAI and all it did sound wise, was make the motor sound throatier when heavily accelerating. As for chips I had and I know many do have the Edge Evolution programmer. It definatly made a difference in shift ferocity which makes your truck quicker. As for the actual motor performance it was minimal in my opinion. Just be careful with the settings. I was hard on my truck with the programmer and my tranny starting doing weird things.

Last edited by Logan24; 12-16-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Quick Reply: OK...Whats the real story?