Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure problems

I recently finished a timing job on my 2005 F150, it started up great and ran great at idle, took it for a test drive and the rattling started so I turned around and came home, pulled in to the driveway put it in park and the rattle stopped. Also the oil pressure gauge dropped to 0 but came back up after I shut the engine off and restarted. I changed the oil pan gasket when I changed the chains and tensioners because the passenger side guide was completely gone, dropped the pan to get the pieces out. I can't figure out why it's doing this any help would be appreciated
Old 07-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 277 Likes on 245 Posts

You should replace the oil pressure switch. Its above the oil filter, on the left side of the engine. But since it was rattling, do you buy quality parts, or cheap aftermarket?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ShirBlackspots
You should replace the oil pressure switch. Its above the oil filter, on the left side of the engine. But since it was rattling, do you buy quality parts, or cheap aftermarket?
Everything I used was OEM , except for the pump. But I researched it before purchasing it and felt pretty comfortable with the purchase when though it wasn't high end like a melling, the only reason it was rattling though was because I had no oil pressure as soon as I parked the oil pressure came back up
Old 07-22-2019, 07:14 AM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts

You're going to need to run some MMO and do one or two (maybe more) short OCI. I'm suspecting you have an intermittent blockage or some restriction in your oil pathway, either from some sludge/dirt or maybe some leftover particles.

Did you remove and thoroughly clean the VCT housing? Which oil pump did you install?

You can replace 1 qt of oil for the MMO. Change the filter (MC FL-820S) each time. Use an inexpensive oil for the short OCI - 200-500 miles - PYB or even Pennzoil Platinum with the rebate - can't go wrong.

MMO = Marvel Mystery Oil
OCI = Oil Change Interval
PYB = Pennzoil Yellow Bottle
Old 07-22-2019, 07:43 AM

Everything was cleaned, I put everything on the top end except good the rollers are brand new, only thing I can think of is the last guide I replaced was completely gone so maybe I didn't get everything out, but I cleaned the pan and filter
Old 07-22-2019, 08:35 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Better check the pickup tube again. Hopefully it's not the pump.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:20 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default The heart of this engine is the oil pump

The melling hv 360 or hv 340 is not that expensive you can buy it on amazon . So many things have to depend on oil flow on this engine . You have to watch the paper stickers on guides /parts ,there have been some clogs in oil system that was cause by them coming off inside timing cover . Thats past the filter so its real bad . You should do an engine flush maybe let it sit overnight . Use cheaper conventional oil and change out several times over a week or two. I run 1 quart of marvel m o and do an engine flush every other time .
The timing cover labor is painful I would do it just right the first time . I think you may have to drop oil pan and clean again after flush .Gasket is reusable but use new rtv on joints . I hope you used fairly new vcts . Better check crank end play and see if thrust washers in oil pan if so its reman time .
Old 07-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Lostintranslation
Everything I used was OEM , except for the pump. But I researched it before purchasing it and felt pretty comfortable with the purchase when though it wasn't high end like a melling, the only reason it was rattling though was because I had no oil pressure as soon as I parked the oil pressure came back up
" though it wasn't high end like a melling "

So you saved what... $30? My Melling pump was like $160. You decided to cheap out on the most important part?
Old 07-22-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jojodapyro
" though it wasn't high end like a melling "

So you saved what... $30? My Melling pump was like $160. You decided to cheap out on the most important part?
I decided on what was good for my budget at the time
Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
The melling hv 360 or hv 340 is not that expensive you can buy it on amazon . So many things have to depend on oil flow on this engine . You have to watch the paper stickers on guides /parts ,there have been some clogs in oil system that was cause by them coming off inside timing cover . Thats past the filter so its real bad . You should do an engine flush maybe let it sit overnight . Use cheaper conventional oil and change out several times over a week or two. I run 1 quart of marvel m o and do an engine flush every other time .
The timing cover labor is painful I would do it just right the first time . I think you may have to drop oil pan and clean again after flush .Gasket is reusable but use new rtv on joints . I hope you used fairly new vcts . Better check crank end play and see if thrust washers in oil pan if so its reman time .
I ordered a melling 360 today, going to start tearing the motor apart again tomorrow morning. My question today is will I have to go through the steps of resetting the timing again at tdc or can I realign the marks and go from there?

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problems