Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil pressure Gauge and "Check Gauges" message

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure Gauge and "Check Gauges" message

Hi guys, can't figure out what's wrong with my 07 XLT. It runs great and idles almost with no issues but after driving it for a while when I get to a complete stop starts idling rough and immediately the oil pressure gauge shuts off and get the "Check Gauges" message on the cluster. When I take off it goes away and runs normal till I stop again. Would the oil pressure sensor make it idle rough? Are the 2 issues related? I have a new engine with new oil pump. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

You need to screw a gauge into the block and check the actual pressure, or take a gamble and replace the sender and see if that fixes it. Its entirety possible you have a faulty oil pressure regulator valve or it has a piece of debris in it. I would want to find out either way.
The following users liked this post:
Christiancito (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

You need to get it checked out right away.
Could be the oil pressure sending unit and or something much more serious.
The sending unit is only an on/off switch. It will make the gauge register OK if the pressure is above 3 PSI. Below 3 PSI and your gauge will register 0.
The sending units fail frequently so replace it first ( or hook up a manual pressure gauge so you can be sure of what the pressure is).
Since the engine is new, take the truck to the installer for troubleshooting if you cannot do it yourself.
Christiancito (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 PM

I will have my mechanic check the oil pressure again. He said they did and it was all normal. What I hate is the truck not idling properly, don't know if its related to the oil pressure issue or is something different.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
You need to get it checked out right away. Could be the oil pressure sending unit and or something much more serious. The sending unit is only an on/off switch. It will make the gauge register OK if the pressure is above 3 PSI. Below 3 PSI and your gauge will register 0. The sending units fail frequently so replace it first ( or hook up a manual pressure gauge so you can be sure of what the pressure is). Since the engine is new, take the truck to the installer for troubleshooting if you cannot do it yourself.
Well mechanic use a physical oil pressure gauge and pressure is low when warm. They ordered a new oil pump and will replace it soon. Hope that's what was causing all this problems
Old 03-15-2016, 05:09 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Wait, I thought you had another thread about this?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Wait, I thought you had another thread about this?
well it wasn't exactly about this but it turned out its all related, this was about oil pressure gauge, the other one about ticking engine, anyways, everything points to the same causing agent, a bad (newly installed) oil pump
Old 03-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I actually have a new pump in my shed somewhere... I (in total honesty) was too lazy to pull the pickup tube and oil pan off when I was doing the timing equipment swap that I never changed it out. Whatever.
Christiancito (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
I actually have a new pump in my shed somewhere... I (in total honesty) was too lazy to pull the pickup tube and oil pan off when I was doing the timing equipment swap that I never changed it out. Whatever.
Hahahahaha it worked out for you man. It means your pump its in good shape. Mine is brand new and apparently not working ok... Figures
Old 08-23-2023, 11:22 PM

Default Same

Same thing to me today it runs fine not rough idle or anything at all. Was just driving and then it dinged and said check guages then the oil pressure dropped to zero then instantly went back to normal. Happend 3 times. Only thing I did prior was take the dash apart to gigke wires to check the cluster as the ebrake light was stuck on. Wonder if this has something to do with the cluster as well?

Quick Reply: Oil pressure Gauge and "Check Gauges" message