Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Nothin' Fancy rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Nothin' Fancy rebuild

The ride: 2006 f150 stx 4x4 RED 4.6 Rough county 6 in, 35 on stock 18s Backstory: the ole 4.6 has 130k and has ran perfect up to this point. A couple weeks back it started misfiring but it was mild so I just waiting for a cel. Well she finally came on so I read the code and got p0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) and p0352 (cylinder 2 bad coil circuit). I replaced cylinder 2 coil and it helped nothing. Pulled the plug and it had detonated, did some research and sometimes that cylinder running lean can overheat the plug and cause it, so I swapped #1 and 2 injector, cranked it up till cel came on and code stayed with #2 cylinder. Did a dreaded compression test and ended up with 50psi on #2 compared to 130 psi on number 1. Dropped some oil down on the cylinder and still read the same thing, indicating valve train problems. As soon and the problem was found we started tearing he down, after three days of work we got the passenger head off.
After examining the head it was apparent that the intake valve was sticking open. Pulled the rocker arm and lifter out and the lifter was stuck solid, so I was estatic thinking it was going to be a cheap fix!! Popped the new one in and the valve still leaked. Called the shop about getting them rebuilt and it was $500 for the pair to get reworked. Heads are getting sent off next week an I figured while I'm going this deep I might as well pull the whole motor and rebuilt it. New rings, main bearing, and rod bearings going in as well as the block getting hot tanked. Pulling it tomorrow if allowed time before work and i will post pics

Quick Reply: Nothin' Fancy rebuild