Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Not starting issue, Neutral Safety Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Not starting issue, Neutral Safety Switch?

Hello all, first post here so be gentle
I just picked up a 2005 F150 5.4L automatic with the console shifter. I have been having some intermittent starting issues. Sometimes it will start just fine, other times I get a screech/grinding sound. After shifting from Park to neutral a few times or even wiggling the shifter while in park it seems to start right up. I've tried to do a little reading on this forum but cant seem to find a specific answer.

Leaning towards a Neutral Safety Switch issue... I haven't had time to get under the truck and check this out but was wondering if Im headed in the right direction.

My question is...Is the switch adjustable or should I simply replace the switch?
Old 01-25-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Screech/grind would make me look at the starter & Flywheel first. Usually if you slowly move the shifter and hold the key in the start position you can find a good spot if it is the neutral switch.

Greg
Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by gmb13
Screech/grind would make me look at the starter & Flywheel first. Usually if you slowly move the shifter and hold the key in the start position you can find a good spot if it is the neutral switch.

Greg

x2^ That sound would have me checking the flywheel. A Neutral safety switch usually wont let the starter even spin. It blocks the signal to the starter. You could have a bad starter and its not engaging all the way. This will eventually chew off the teeth on the flywheel. I would have the starter and the flywheel checked out.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenG
x2^ That sound would have me checking the flywheel. A Neutral safety switch usually wont let the starter even spin. It blocks the signal to the starter. You could have a bad starter and its not engaging all the way. This will eventually chew off the teeth on the flywheel. I would have the starter and the flywheel checked out.
Ditto. It's almost certainly the starter failing. If you replace it now you'll probably get away without significant damage to the flywheel teeth (technically its called the "flex plate" with an automatic transmission). If you put it off too long its going to get exponentially expensive.

Last edited by PerryB; 01-26-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM

So....there is no sound associated with the NSS going bad? I guess since the truck would start when the shifter was moved a bit led me to believe that the issue was related.

...now Im thinking starter not engaging all the way....
Old 01-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

No sound at all.. if it were the NSS it would not allow the starter to spin at all like stated above.. sounds like a bad starter to me also.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:28 AM

Here is the exact noise it makes. Not my truck, but its the same noise. Once again I haven't had a chance yet to jump underneath and check it out but at least I believe Im pointed in the right direction. Thanks everyone that chimed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2TI1aq59fQ
Old 01-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

That's your Starter...
Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

If that's the noise you have it is definitely your starter. How long has this been going on? You will want to get it fixed right away as stated! Trust me! My 03 had the problem where Ford didn't seal the windshield properly and water dripped on the relay box, I went outside one day in a light sprinkle and heard someone trying to start and steal my truck! Went running around the corner to find no one there and the truck just cranking over and over. Engaging the starter over and over. Fixed the windshield but left the starter and the flywheel alone. The flywheel developed bare spots in it where the starter would not catch and just spin. Eventually it would catch and start. When the starter finally burned up from cranking on the bare spots I broke down and got them both replaced. Cost about $600 for both! Moral of the story... fix it now! LOL
The following users liked this post:
techrep (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:10 AM

Yep that's the exact noise, hoping to address it this weekend. I drive my VW on a daily basis so the truck sits 5 out of 7 days. Thanks all!! I love forums for this exact reason. "People helping people"