Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New here, looking to buy my first F150!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New here, looking to buy my first F150!

Hello everyone,

My name is Paul and I am new to the forum. I am looking to buy my first F-150, I have always wanted one and am excited to finally get it. I have been saving up for a while to buy one cash and am worried that I do not know what to look out for or if I am getting a good deal. I found this one on craigslist and am going to go see it this week, looks like it has the stuff I would want to get like the rims and subs so that's good but what else should I keep an eye out for. Ad says or best offer! any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4532708440.html
Old 06-22-2014, 03:38 AM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Unless you are a mechanic take it to one. Check pricing recommendations on KBB and Cargurus. Here is a link to cargurus site.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/instantMarketValue.action
Old 06-22-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True get it checkout and get a Carfax to verify the mileage as best you can. Just spend the money up front and save your self some heart ache later. I would also check the prices of similar model and mileage in my area to be sure it is really a good market price.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I will check those out today and have someone go out there with me to check it out.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok...this is off topic (possibly) but with a non-equipment hauling, crew cab...why would someone have to get rid of this truck because of a baby? Makes absolutely no sense. I would ask for proof lol.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:07 PM

LOL I can offer him 8k as long as he can provide a sonogram.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FL5OVE
Ok...this is off topic (possibly) but with a non-equipment hauling, crew cab...why would someone have to get rid of this truck because of a baby? Makes absolutely no sense. I would ask for proof lol.
I agree, I bought my F-150 because of a baby! I needed a safe truck that I could put a baby seat in. I got the x-tra cab and it has been great. A crew cab is even more baby friendly but I wanted the bed length.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

2004 trucks with the 5.4L are notorious for Phaser issues, timing chain slap, etc. Familiarize yourself with these issues ASAP online. Listen for issues when you start/shut the truck off, warm the engine up to operating temp, if the truck diesels or has an extremely loud knocking type of noise the phasers are likely shot.

One last thing, SPARK PLUGS! Find out if they have been changed if they have ask for proof. The spark plugs on the 5.4 engine are notorious for breaking and a lot of dealerships don't even want to touch them if they have been in as long as those have for 120k miles because the majority of the plugs will break and you will wind up with a VERY expensive bill. Ford used to recommend changing the plugs every 100k and after a TON of breakage issues and several TSB revisions that figure was changed to 50k.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on the Carfax. I was primed and ready to buy an 04 Lariat with about 80k on it. The guy said it was an AZ truck and the body was in great shape without a spot of rust. A $35 Carfax showed that the actual mileage was 280,000!! The guy had a certain sleaze factor to him that didn't sit well with me to begin with. He denied any knowledge of the rollback but I could tell he had something to do with it.

Who knows, maybe the truck was mechanically sound but I wasn't ready to take on a vehicle with that kind of mileage regardless.

Also, X2 on getting it check out by a mechanic. I've had a few gremlins with the 04 that I did settle on that could have been easily caught by someone with more mechanical knowledge than me. Lesson learned.

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulflor98
LOL I can offer him 8k as long as he can provide a sonogram.
LOL...well, what I was hinting at is it may not be the most honest explaination as to why he is selling. Something that age should most definitely have a good check up before buying. I was scared off an 08 King Ranch because of the plug issues.

Originally Posted by idivemike
I agree, I bought my F-150 because of a baby! I needed a safe truck that I could put a baby seat in. I got the x-tra cab and it has been great. A crew cab is even more baby friendly but I wanted the bed length.
Exactly...my crew cab has more rear seat space than any vehicle I ever owned. It puts any van or SUV to shame. My son can't even kick my seat when I won't stop at Walmart t get him a toy LOL!!

Quick Reply: New here, looking to buy my first F150!