Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

NEW guy need to read

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW guy need to read

Well first and foremost I hope to really be able to get and give some really good information on out trucks. I have a 2006 4x4 super crew xlt. I pretty much stole it from my old PSG ( Platoon Sergeant) and he had put the k and N air kit and diablo preadtor on her priot to me getting it.

She has 70K on herbut still rides great, I am starting to have some issues with the power and dont know if that predator is killing me, or if I just need to change the plugs and get some other tips from you guys to help me out. I will leave you sith this and hope to get some good feedback going. Now for your infomation I am in the United States Army so speak SLOWWWWW, lol. Stang out
Old 07-18-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It shouldn't need a plug change at 70k.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've got a programmer, you probably drive it like you stole it huh? haha I don't blame you, I would too.

Do you use octane booster? I've heard that if it's used a lot it'll burn the valves and possible clog/melt the converters which will rob you of power...

I'd go for a plug change, I know the recommendation is 100k but the harder the truck is driven, the more wear & tear on EVERYTHING including the plugs.

What does everyone else think?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loss of power could mean a number of things. I would start with dirty fuel injectors and run a cleaner to help unclog them. Then check the settings on the programmer. Maybe its out of tune. Clogged fuel filters, dirty air filter, even bad fuel can all attribute to a loss in power.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

What the others are saying can lead to poor performance. I'd also hold off of the plugs until the rest of the "basics" have been checked out first.

Welcome aboard, and thanks for serving. All of us here at F150Forum appretiate your service.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well thanks for the quick responce and I am very proud to serve my country, I cannot really expalin what is going on but I will try. Since I put the tune on there ( just rebooted last week, so still new tune) i noticed that when I just step into it she wants to stall or stutter on me around the 3 k area. I called diablo and asked them if I needed to retard or advance my timing since I can do it with the programmer and of course this ***** just told me to buy to grade gas. I informed him I was using the 87 k and n tune why would I put top grade fuel and then I soon found out that he was only reading back what I could have found off a search engine. I plan on getting a duel exhaust put on tomorrow, which are the flowmaster 40 series, and hoping that is a good idea, if not tell me and I will hold off. Mythought behind it is to be help it maybe help it breath and sound meaner,lol. Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Something

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Studder at 3K? 70K miles? I am guessing she's a 5.4.
You may have one or more cracked plug(s). Do you hear the engine ping on acceleration, especially up hill? If so, how much ping do you get? One here and one there or do you get a pop, pop, pop, pop?

Do you work on your own truck? I would say pull the plugs and change them out before they get any more stuck in your heads. If you have a shop do it it could get expensive. At 70K you may be able to get those plugs out in one piece.

A simple thing you could try is to pull the ignition coils off of each plug and check the springs inside of the boots for rust. You may need new coils, or you may just need new boots for the coils which would be a lot cheaper. If there's rust on the springs then your coils are not contacting the plugs as well which can cause plug misfire and loss of power.

If you're not familiar with the ignition coils on this engine, basically there's a coil on top of each plug which you can remove by pulling 1 screw off for each coil. Pull the coil out of the engine and check the end that contacts the plug. You will see the spring inside of the boot. Lots of rust=bad.

Have you tried removing the tune and see how the engine runs with just the PCM managing ignition?

My bet is the plugs. In my opinion it would be a wise preventative maintenance tactic to replace the plugs now, or soon.

Quick Reply: NEW guy need to read