Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need radio wiring help...Sirius/AUX/etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need radio wiring help...Sirius/AUX/etc.

Here's the deal.

2006 Ford F150
Factory Sirius with just an "AUX' button
I have the FRD04-aux from pie installed (I know it's not compatible)
I do not use Sirius and probably never will.

I want to use my portable music through the stereo so I have the RCA adapter installed. There is a box installed below the radio that I believe is the Sirius box? If I unplug the 12 pin connector to that box slightly and position it just right I can listen to my ipod just fine and it sounds great. Would anyone know why? I'd like to do something to that plug (like jumping) to get this to work without having to find just the right amount of connection needed to the existing Sirius box. Can I pull the plug out and jump certain wires together to make this work? Or can I pull some of the wires out of that loom? Any ideas on what each of those 9 wires (in the 12 wire loom) are doing? I don't have a wiring diagram for that.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

The 16 pin at the radio isn't still plugged in is it? I don't know how else it would affect anything.

Here's the wiring breakdown:
Pin, Color, Function
1, LB-PK, MS CAN+
3, BK-LG, Ground
5, VT, Sat Rad Signal L+
6, GY, Sat Rad Signal R+
7, TN, MS CAN -
9, LG-VT, Batt+
10, BK, Ground
11, LG-RD, Sat Rad Signal L-
12, OG-BK, Sat Rad Signal R-
Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Not sure what you mean. The PIE adapter is plugged into the back of the radio now.

There must be something in that 9 wire set that's blocking the transmission of the ipod. Again, they say it's not compatible with factory Sirius, but if I hold the loom out just right it works great.

When I select AUX on my radio I only get the 3 SAT stations..which I have never subscribed to. Now it seems I can get my ipod sound through those stations if I can bypass a wire or two. If I pull the loom completely out, it reverts back to radio. So I believe I need to trick the radio into thinking it has a good connection to the Sirius box. Not sure which wire(s) that would be based on what you're saying. My wires don't necessarily match the colors you have there. You sure that's for 2006?
Old 05-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Yeah, it's from the all-data diagram for the 06 (connection at the 12 pin at the sat receiver).

The receiver pulls battery positive before the radio, but otherwise I can't figure out how the radio would even know it exists it the 16 pin isn't in the back of the radio.

You could try cutting the sound signal wires (pins 5,6,11,12) so there is no sound coming from the sat receiver but any other signal is still there.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 PM

That's also what I was thinking. You wouldn't happen to know an easy way of pulling a pin our of a loom would you? I'd like to avoid cutting wires. Or maybe there's an easier way to bypass a wire??
Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Depends on the connector, I'd have to look at it.

I still have no idea how the signal is getting to the radio since it's disconnected.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:50 PM

If I disconnect the SAT box while on SAT 1 (having pushed the AUX button), the radio says it can't find the audio connection and then reverts back to the radio station it was on. If I pull the plug out slightly, the connection will still be there but for some reason it also hears my ipod. That's the connection I'd like to try to make "almost permanent".
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Is the 16 pin stock connector plugged into the FRD04-AUX? If not, what is the second connector for in this picture?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM

Of course its plugged in. The FRD04-aux is plugged into the back of the radio and the end that was plugged into the radio is now plugged into the FRD04-aux.

The 12 pin connector into the Sirius unit is the one I'm unplugging slightly and getting the ipod to work.

I think we're on the same page now? I just need to figure out which wires to disconnect on that Sirius loom.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Oh, okay the FRD04-Aux is acting as a pass through for the Sirius module then. That 16 pin has the exact same circuits as the 12 pin on the receiver (except the receiver power and ground).

Ok, you should be able to just cut the wires or break off the pins in the FRD04-Aux then. Do you see the four colors from the satellite radio signal in my post above going into four of the sixteen pin connector coming from the truck? Those should be all of the audio signal.

Quick Reply: Need radio wiring help...Sirius/AUX/etc.