Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

my 04 fx4 spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 04 fx4 spark plug change

hey guys,
this is my first post on this forum... i have read plenty of info on this forum about the infamous spark plug change on our trucks... i have to admit i was slightly worried, but i figured i would give it a go... i am happy to say that i didn't have a single one break. (FYI i have 95000 miles on the truck). i just wanted to let everyone know what i did... i ran a couple bottles of techron fuel system cleaner through the gas tank. i soaked the plugs in pb blaster for about 2 hours... note: i did use my air compressor to blow out the dirt/ crud so it wouldn't fall down into the combustion chamber when i pulled the plugs.. and last i took my cordless impact and hammered out the plugs. i replace the old plugs with motor craft SP515 with some anti seize... now i'm happy... the whole process took about 4 hours, but two of those hours was waiting around for the PB blaster to soak in.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Similar to Kozal01's method, which I followed. I didn't bother with any fuel additives though, I always run name-brand fuel. Congrats on the successful spark plug replacement. 5 out of 7 broke on me. Lisle tool is the s**t!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal! I just did mine last weekend, originals at 153k and not a single one broke! I did a little sea foam the day before and pb blaster soaking for a bit before I changed them. And did it with the motor slightly warm. But my truck has an insane amount of service records, the oil was changed every 3k since new at the dealership.. There was little to no carbon build up on the plugs.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dropped mine off at a buddies shop to change my plugs today. Have my fingers crossed that they all come out in one piece. I've got about 92k miles on the truck.

Quick Reply: my 04 fx4 spark plug change