Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Mutliple engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mutliple engine codes

I am sure some of this information is already posted on here but I did not see it so I am going to ask for some help. I have a 2004 Ford F150 FX4 with CAI and a Edge Evolution tuner that helps monitor my engine as well. Just here in the last few months when my engine light comes on I will run a check on it and it comes back as P0325 which show to be Knock Sensor. I clear it out and it will not come back for a few weeks. Now just in the last month or so I have had P0011, P0021, P0325, and P0345 come on. I have checked the codes and seen what they mean but didn't know if one code may be causing the others to pop up. I can clear them out and they will not come back on for a week or two. Also it will sometimes have a miss if I am going up a hill and lugging the engine some. I just run the transmission tune on the truck I don't turn it up so it runs as good as it can. If anyone can knows much about this please help me out or if you need more information just ask. I have always had Chevy's and don't know as much about fords but I like the truck and would like to fix it so I can keep driving it and be proud of it.

Last edited by Gib1031; 01-10-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: add to problems
Old 01-11-2017, 06:18 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

P0011 - Camshaft Position A: timing over advanced for bank 1 then what the ECM has commanded it to be.

P0021 - A Camshaft position: timing over advanced for bank 2 then what the ECM has commanded it to be.

P0325 - Knock sensor Malfunction - Detecting cylinder knock, due to the over advancement of spark, due to the camshaft position failure codes.

P0345 - Bank 2 camshaft position sensor A

My opinion is that your cam phasers are the problem, and they need replacement. How many miles are on this engine? The 5.4 is famous for these wearing out and requiring replacement. Not a "simple job" so be prepared. Search this forum for cam phasers, you'll find plenty of reading on what it is, and how to do the work if your mechanically capable, and have the tools.

Does this engine have the "tick tick tick" sound at idle? Another symptom of the cam phasers being bad.

And on the same page (as of this writing), here's another member with cam phaser failure. He provides some pricing:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/so-i-go...-issue-368992/

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-11-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
P0011 - Camshaft Position A: timing over advanced for bank 1 then what the ECM has commanded it to be.

P0021 - A Camshaft position: timing over advanced for bank 2 then what the ECM has commanded it to be.

P0325 - Knock sensor Malfunction - Detecting cylinder knock, due to the over advancement of spark, due to the camshaft position failure codes.

P0345 - Bank 2 camshaft position sensor A

My opinion is that your cam phasers are the problem, and they need replacement. How many miles are on this engine? The 5.4 is famous for these wearing out and requiring replacement. Not a "simple job" so be prepared. Search this forum for cam phasers, you'll find plenty of reading on what it is, and how to do the work if your mechanically capable, and have the tools.

Does this engine have the "tick tick tick" sound at idle? Another symptom of the cam phasers being bad.

And on the same page (as of this writing), here's another member with cam phaser failure. He provides some pricing:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/so-i-go...-issue-368992/

The truck has about 175xxx miles and I have had it for about 25xxx of those miles so I don't know if anything has been done in the past. I am worried about it being the cam phaser but just wanted to see if anyone might have a another answer. It through another code this morning and it was just the knock sensor. I don't really hear much ticking compared to other's I have heard.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:15 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'm betting you have the "cam phaser worn out" issue. If the cam phasers are advancing too much that the PCM/ECU cannot compensate for, engine knock will occur, and do further damage. Best to get it repaired as soon as possible.
The following users liked this post:
Gib1031 (01-12-2017)