Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Moonroof repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last week, while driving I decided to let some fresh air in through the moonroof, but when I opened it up I heard a couple of snaps. Now it will no longer close all the way. After reading different threads on the forum, I've decided to do the repairs myself. I've ordered the repair kit from sunroofdr.com. So in the meantime, I got a head start on the repairs by removing the ceiling liner. Most of it went pretty smooth. The only headaches I gave me were from the garment hooks and the trim pieces at the back of the cab. Removal was pretty easy since I have the super cab. To this point it's taken me about 1.5 hours by myself. I haven't removed the moonroof assembly yet, but it looks to be pretty straight forward from here. If anyone has som tips that might be useful, I'm all ears. I will update when I get going again.

Last edited by Wyodriver; 10-27-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

same thing happened to my sunroof. I looked at replacing the parts from sunroof doctor as well but the actual repair job seemed hit or miss with having to remove the headliner and drilling rivets out. Didn't want to risk messing headliner up so I had a glass place "lock" the sunroof in place.

Sorry I don't have any tips for you in finishing the project. Good luck and would love to hear how it goes.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:24 PM

UPDATE: The parts I ordered from the Sunroof Dr. arrived on Friday, just in time for me to work on it Saturday. Other than a couple of hang-ups with some stubborn screws installation of the new parts was pretty straight forward and easy. I recruited help from my wife to help with removal of the moonroof assembly, installation of new parts and re-installation of the moonroof and head liner. It did take the two of us about 4 hours to do all of this but we both agree that it was worth the time spent rather than the cash on some mechanic. If I could recommend some advise, if you have a Super Cab, get a friend and do it yourself. Use the parts form Sunroof Dr. Shipping was really fast (3 days), and the parts seem to be of equal or higher quality of the OEM parts. Oh, and they do include replacement rivets and a small container of grease. The instructions were a bit confusing at first but a lot easier to understand when the assembly is sitting in front of you. If you feel like you want to take on this job yourself and you have a question, feel free to contact me.
Attached Thumbnails Moonroof repair-image-1181370385.jpg   Moonroof repair-image-2515947289.jpg   Moonroof repair-image-1521304050.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Glad you got it done successfully.
Mine took about 3 hours - helper was necessary - someone other than wife was available so this may have reduced my overall time and headaches that you encountered - LOL.
We did not remove the seats or the headliner. The seats remained in the truck and the headliner rested on top of them.
Not a bad job to do as it saves us over $1,000 - if a dealer does the work.
Thank God for SunroofDr as Ford does not sell any replacement parts. They replace the entire unit only.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

holy crap I never would have thought the moon roof assembly was that big!

Mine broke over the summer and I have the parts, I just need to find time to do it. Glad to hear that the replacement parts are equal to or better than the OEM versions.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive always wondered why when you open the moonroof, and click the button again it moves open another inch or so. Same thing when closing it, two separate clicks if it was opened all the way.

Anyone know the point of that option to slide back that extra inch or so?
Old 11-06-2014, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by beantown617
Ive always wondered why when you open the moonroof, and click the button again it moves open another inch or so. Same thing when closing it, two separate clicks if it was opened all the way. Anyone know the point of that option to slide back that extra inch or so?
My wife always thought that was weird. It might be to remedy buffeting at different speeds. Just speculating. I usually just open the back window in addition to the roof to get a good air flow through the cab and limit the buffeting.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Never thought about it like that, but that could be a highly plausible theory.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone here still have the instructions from sunroof dr? i lost mine and he doesn't have them up on the website that i can find and hasn't responded to my emails.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Slick
Does anyone here still have the instructions from sunroof dr? i lost mine and he doesn't have them up on the website that i can find and hasn't responded to my emails.
Here are some pics. The instructions for mine was on page 2. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails Moonroof repair-image-631746715.jpg   Moonroof repair-image-1854073428.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
John82601 (05-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Moonroof repair