Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Missing on 2, 3, and 4.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Missing on 2, 3, and 4.

Yesterday as I stopped to pull in to a parking spot my truck started shaking and missing. I have a cheap bluetooth reader with TorquePro and it shows that 2, 3, and 4 are missing terribly, 3 more than 2 or 4. I changed 2 and 3 coils just to see if it would make a difference, but it did not. Got it to a friend's garage and they are going to pull all the plugs today and replace them. Truck has been running great up to this point, what are the chances 3 plugs go at the same time? Truck is an 05 5.4 3v with 155,000 miles. plugs were replaced within the last 20,000 miles. Truck had Accel coils on it when I got it, which is what I have on it now. I bought a set of cheap Amazon coils and ran them for a while, but when I replaced the plugs I put the Accels back on, I never had trouble with either set, I guess I read a few stories of the Accels failing and got the Amazon ones because of that and they were cheap...
Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 AM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

As aggravating as it may be, maybe swap coils to the other bank and see if the DTC's follow
Old 10-24-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

New plugs and new boots and springs. Cleaning or replacing the boots on the coils have cleared most of my misfires. Be very clean and careful with the dielectric grease. Only use motorcraft sp546 plugs.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:22 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 632 Likes on 568 Posts

Default well that smells like antifreeze or something in wells

Torque them and see if they are loose 25 to 28 foot pounds even if you have a shop do them they may not torque them in right . You didn't wash the engine or run in high water did you ?
Sure sounds like it . Don't care for accel coils but whatever . Its hard to beat oem coils if you clean the terminals good Guess you could have wire damage on that side rodents will get under intake nest and chew on wires .
Yes replace boots if they aren't fairly new,easy on the dielectric grease .Keep hands and plugs very clean .. Not to fond of letting other people do my plugs ,nobody is going to take the care I'm going to do .Do them right and you will get 60k out of them .Either use sp546 or champion 7989 which is what I used to avoid the first 2 mc plug problems .
Old 10-24-2018, 08:22 PM

So I talked to the mechanic tonight, he said he replaced the coils and plugs, says it is somewhat better, but not right still. He hooked up his scanner and is now getting P0012 and P0021, VCT and Cam over advance. He said that when they took out #3 plug, there was a big piece of carbon build up that was in the cylinder and all the plugs were nasty. Going to try to replace the VCT solenoids tomorrow to see if that may have gotten stuck. They were also replaced about 20,000 miles ago with Ford ones, but I guess they could be bad too...
Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default Drop oil pan and look for plastic

If chain guides chewed up then clean out oil pu screen , fibers will block flow . If there you will need to do a full timing job . Check crank shaft end play while in there . Carbon needs to be removed from spark plug tip area of cly ,carb cleaner works well, nothing added to gas can actually clean this area out . Carbon will break plugs .
Old 10-25-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
If chain guides chewed up then clean out oil pu screen , fibers will block flow . If there you will need to do a full timing job . Check crank shaft end play while in there . Carbon needs to be removed from spark plug tip area of cly ,carb cleaner works well, nothing added to gas can actually clean this area out . Carbon will break plugs .
I actually did the timing last winter...replaced guides chains, tensioners, oil pump, oil pick up tube/screen, I dropped the oil pan and cleaned it too, replaced VCT solenoids, basically did all but the phasers, unfortunately ran out of money for those. My plan was to replace them later since they can be replaced with just removing the valve covers...
Old 10-25-2018, 09:22 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default do a gentle engine clean out

Before changing vcts . You may look at them to see if clogged but if oem they should be good for 125k or so . You are at the limit of injector life ,05 had bad rep on injectors . Does sound like oil flow thru phasers /phasers . I had to replace rollers and lashs both have new designs .
But truthfully I would do an engine flush at this point , this engine can't tolerate dirt . I do an engine flush every other oil change . Several cheap oil changes after that in your case .. You may be a better judge of dirt when you were in there
You can check out valve train while you have covers off but lashs are hard to test , they stick and gall inside plus they accumulate dirt they cause a lot of ticking noise. I gave up testing them and replaced them all .
That carbon around plugs is plug breaker coming out or going in . , carbon is really heat resistant tough to try and burn out with additives . Best to get that cleaned out with carb cleaner like when engine was new . Put a torch to charcoal briquettes it will just glow . Glowing carbon rough on plugs and changes heat range .
You also may have the faulty sp515 plugs .
Old 10-27-2018, 12:31 PM

update ... changed out the VCT solenoid on the passenger side flushed the motor with 0w 20, replaced with 5w 30 Motorcraft synthetic and Motorcraft filter Truck ran fine sounded good, went to pick it up, got 100 yards and it all started again, missing on 2, 3, and 4. what's next?
Old 10-28-2018, 08:54 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default Not quite an engine flush

If you have some clogs that need to be broken up oil is not going to do it .It may not be your answer but thats what I would do after looking hard at codes . I'm sure you must have changed fuel filter . Injectors are on the list but 3 on a row on pass side ? Sounds like a missing or intermittent 12vdc to cop or injectors on pass side clean terminals /connectors test to pcm plugs .
How about your tone ring on crank was it okay when you did timing ,plastic pieces can damage fingers on that its just a thought not likely ,it gives signal to crank sensor to fire at pcm . Really no clear path here. I run a flush every other oil change and I run 1 quart of mmo per crankcase all the time as a slow cleaner .
20k VCTS ford certainly would not be bad ,maybe clogged but not bad .They are not cheap.
PCM tries to determine misfire on crank signal, it looks to see if crank saw a boost from that firing signal on that cyl. Misfire threshold is quite high on ford so we like mode six which on torque pro is under test results it gives you the raw counts per cyl building towards the minimum that it states to set cel.
You have indications that phasers may be going bad .If you look at them the middle finger should be at rest on the l mark when its up . Springs and fingers should be parallel to face and not crooked .Wish I could be more help.

Quick Reply: Missing on 2, 3, and 4.