Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

metal grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal grinding sound

hey everyone I need some help here I have a 07 f150 supercrew. Today my truck started sounding like I had metal grinding almost like bad breaks grinding on the rotors...but it only happens when the truck is above 1500rpm. I tried reving it up to see if it happened but nothing, I tried almost doing a break stand and put the rpms up and nothing. We have recently had a huge snowfall so the 4x4 was used a bunch...could it be the front axle has fallen apart. the gas peddle is vibrating a bit aswell...has anyone else ever had this problem, it so what was the solution......

thanks inadvance
Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 AM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

there are a few things that could do this. most likely is your iwe's. is it only while in 2wd? if so, then next time it does it, switch to 4 hi, and see if it stops. i think when you say above 1500 you can hear it, i think it has more to do with vehicle speed. when your moving slow, the iwe grind is hard to hear, plus when your on the throttle, you lose vacuum to the hubs, making it worse. the noise is from the iwe not fully disengaging when you switch to 2wd.... how cold are your temps? you could have sucked in some moisture into the iwe's, and then it freezes. you can fix this yourself if you have some basic mechanical knowledge. its not hard at all. if you some some searching here for iwe, you will get tons of info.

if you cant get it fixed right away, then the safest thing is to drive in 4hi until you can, otherwise you will eat up wither the iwe, or the hub, or both.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 AM

Default same issue

Fluffydawg - I am having the same problem as well. I have a 2007 5.4 V8 and I only hear the noise when I accelerate and/or when the throttle is down. I'm not sure of what it is and if you find out an answer, please let me know!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by mattd17
there are a few things that could do this. most likely is your iwe's. is it only while in 2wd? if so, then next time it does it, switch to 4 hi, and see if it stops. i think when you say above 1500 you can hear it, i think it has more to do with vehicle speed. when your moving slow, the iwe grind is hard to hear, plus when your on the throttle, you lose vacuum to the hubs, making it worse. the noise is from the iwe not fully disengaging when you switch to 2wd.... how cold are your temps? you could have sucked in some moisture into the iwe's, and then it freezes. you can fix this yourself if you have some basic mechanical knowledge. its not hard at all. if you some some searching here for iwe, you will get tons of info.

if you cant get it fixed right away, then the safest thing is to drive in 4hi until you can, otherwise you will eat up wither the iwe, or the hub, or both.
you ask about temps where I am....almost two weeks ago we had about 30 cm of snow fall and temps where going down to -40 with the wind chill. the last time that it work properly my wife moved the truck and had to put it in 4x4 to do it quickly since the fire department was comming to put out the neighbors garage since it had gone up in flames...I took the 4x4 off again when I went to move it the next day...I was playing in the snow drifts when the snow all fell so I am assuming this is the cause of this..the truck is being towed today to go and get it looked at....
Old 12-18-2009, 06:50 AM

Please update when you get your truck back. I'm taking my in today after work for an oil change, maybe they can find something out.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by jurgy
Please update when you get your truck back. I'm taking my in today after work for an oil change, maybe they can find something out.
okay so here it is...the mechanic found that the vacuum line was loose or messed up and that was causing the 4x4 to not disengage fully...must of been the large snow fall that we had, and the playing in 4ft deep snow drifts to see what it would and wouldn't do, since this is my first 4x4 I had to play....thanks for all of the responses..

Quick Reply: metal grinding sound